LIQUID SUGAR

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used honey, golden syrup and black treacle. They're all sugary and liquidy.

boab42stout said:
I have a recipe for a 80 / which rquires 10% liquid sugar has enyone used this in a AG recipe
This may mean inverting table sugar which is easy . You use water and sugar and boil it with a thermometer , the temp will need to be maintained as you want it around 115c i think ( there is an how to here somewhere) and if it gets hotter you add water otherwise you make toffee .
This is far better than using table sugar in a brew , it's about the yeast being able to consume it without changing itself to do so .

Hi Boab,
Does the recipe mention colour of liquid sugar at all? If it does you are talking about candy sugar which can be any colour from light straw thru to a fairly dark brown, this is achieved by boiling ordinary sugar in water, it takes a lot of concentration on the cooker/pot until you have what you want, stirring all the time. Otherwise does it mention an amount of sugar at all?, you can do this by just mixing sugar and water in a pan on the stove until it is melted and thus in liquid form.

But, agree with jonnymorris about other forms of sweetness which will ferment no problem.

By adding liquid sugar you are adding is fermentables as opposed to other forms of sweetness like molasses which also provides some additional non-fermentables. This is a simple way of adding ABV used commercially, you can drop it from the recipe and add additional malted barley, either MO or other malted grain.

Hi guys its just asking for 10% liquid sugar i bought someliquid glucose for it
The recipe is for belhaven 80/

Amt

Name

Type

#

%/IBU

12.15 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 1 -

Mash or Steep Grains

Mash Ingredients

Amt

Name

Type

#

%/IBU

4.20 kg Maris Otter (Crisp) (7.9 EBC) Grain 2 85.7 %
0.10 kg Black Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1300.2 EBC) Grain 3 2.0 %
0.10 kg Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett) (118.2 EBC) Grain 4 2.0 %

Mash Steps

Name

Description

Step Temperature

Step Time

Mash In Add 14.17 l of water at 73.5 C 65.6 C 75 min
◯ Fly sparge with 25.07 l water at 75.6 C

◯ Add water to achieve boil volume of 32.13 l
◯ Estimated pre-boil gravity is 1.043 SG

Boil Ingredients

Amt

Name

Type

#

%/IBU

0.50 kg Invert Sugar (0.0 EBC) Sugar 5 10.2 %

45.00 g Whitbread Golding Variety (WGV) [6.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 6 22.6 IBUs
20.00 g Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 4.1 IBUs
◯ Estimated Post Boil Vol: 27.86 l and Est Post Boil Gravity: 1.052 SG

Heres the recipe from the real ale almanac
Belhaven 80/-
Pipkin pale malt (86%)
Black malt(1.5)
Crystal (2.5%)
Liquid sugar (10%)

The sugar is there for good reason as it adds fermentables without adding body, in fact it thins it out a little. This is very common in all sorts of European brewing as it allows big alcohol percentage whilst keeping the beer drinkable. Make an 7+% all malt beer and it will be sipper! make it with 10-15% sugar and it's totally different.

Rob

Hi there thankyou for your reply its nice to undrstand why the recipe asks for the liquid sugar and what it does to the final product :thumb:
I will be using marris otter from the malt miller in this recipe :drink:

Just to say thankyou for all your answers they where all apreciated as i am still learning AG along with what ingredients do to each style of beer

Latest posts

Back