Little help with stout/iterated(ish) mash.....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewnaldo

Landlord.
Reaction score
I would like to brew a stout, maybe not quite Imperial levels but certainly a pretty high gravity effort. I think given I am doing BIAB, a 7 or 8 kilo grain bill in one go is out of the question. I would also like to split my grains out to add the roast grains towards the end.

I guess my question is, should I be getting a batch of Pale Malt to just get some gravity in a first mash, then mash a standard stout recipe in that? Say if I got 4 or 5 kilo of Pale malt on its own then another 3 or 4 to go int he second mash plus whatever specialty grains I land on for later in the mash?

How would I account for all this regarding water chemistry and to get a rough idea of what my SG would end up as, just to allow me to tailor the recipe?

Any help on this appreciated.

I would mash half the base malt on its own as step one, mash the second half on its own as step 2, raise the temperature to 77 C add the none fermentables for 20 minutes holding that temperature as step 3. This will keep the water chemistry simple as you will only have the base malt to add the salts to.

Last edited:
I would mash half the base malt on its own as step one, mash the second half on its own as step 2, raise the temperature to 77 C add the none fermentables for 20 minutes holding that temperature as step 3. This will keep the water chemistry simple as you will only have the base malt to add the salts to.

Ok that sounds roughly in line with what I thought cheers

Latest posts

Back