Liz Truss has promised to announce a plan to deal with soaring energy costs within a week

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I guess the magic money tree is going to get another thorough shaking.

Liz Truss has promised to announce a plan to deal with soaring energy costs within a week if she becomes prime minister on Tuesday.
The Tory leadership hopeful, the favourite according to pollsters, told the BBC's Laura Kuenssberg she would "act immediately" to help with bills.
But she offered no details, saying she would need time in office first in order to finalise exact proposals.

Full articlw - Liz Truss pledges energy plan in a week if she becomes PM

Perhaps she could shut the last remaining coal mines AND sell off anything that's left to which ever foreign country that will pay the highest price.

Maybe she will open all the mothballed ones up say **** the environment for a couple of years and give the power stations cheap fuel.

I think it would cost silly money to open a coal mine...a billion? Those mothballed will be knackered and flooded..

I think it would cost silly money to open a coal mine...a billion? Those mothballed will be knackered and flooded..
I imagine you are right maybe i should have added a ;) to my earlier post and maybe they should never have been mothballed in the first place.

Last edited:
Opening old pits up would be financially unviable and seriously dangerous. There are no skilled miners left who are young enough to even teach new miners. The pits would be flooded and full of gas with all the supports/tunnels crushed so they would have to sink new shafts from the other side of the reserves or right in the middle of it which would mean that the correct area may be green belt or already have house been built on them.
The correct shafts would have to be sunk within a very short distance of the reserves as transporting and building tunnels to reach them is unviable also did the government say that the reserves where exhausted or financially unviable and that was the reason for closures

In any case the electricity generated from perhaps cheaper coal would still be sold to your supplier at world energy prices. So no effect on your bills and loads of dosh to be trousered by someone somewhere who definitely isn't me.

The Tories will probably call an election lose it and then let Labour sort out the mess they’ve caused. Then of course blame Labour for the mess.

Unfortunately I am old enough to remember that Mrs Thatcher closed the mines as she never forgave the miners for bringing down Ted Heath's government, she was not prepared to have that happen to her government! As far as I am aware we had in the region of 300 years worth of coal left in the ground, it could not have all been uneconomic to mine, as I understand it a fair amount was high quality coal and would have fetched a good price.
A very high price was also paid and is still being paid in many old mining communities, new hospitality jobs will never compete with lost mining and associated industry jobs.
Governments could have invested in carbon capture and storage and we could have burnt coal when the wind doesn't blow and the sun doesn't shine, we could have been less reliant on imported gas.
Of course the broken energy market would need to have been sorted out for coal to have made any difference.

Unfortunately I am old enough to remember that Mrs Thatcher closed the mines as she never forgave the miners for bringing down Ted Heath's government, she was not prepared to have that happen to her government! As far as I am aware we had in the region of 300 years worth of coal left in the ground, it could not have all been uneconomic to mine, as I understand it a fair amount was high quality coal and would have fetched a good price.
A very high price was also paid and is still being paid in many old mining communities, new hospitality jobs will never compete with lost mining and associated industry jobs.
Governments could have invested in carbon capture and storage and we could have burnt coal when the wind doesn't blow and the sun doesn't shine, we could have been less reliant on imported gas.
Of course the broken energy market would need to have been sorted out for coal to have made any difference.
This why the Coal Fields were uneconomic

The consumption of coal – mostly for electricity – fell from 157 million tonnes in 1970 to 18 million tonnes in 2016, of which 77% (14 million tonnes) was imported from Colombia, Russia, and the United States. and Poland
These were massively subsidised so our coal was uneconomic apart from the best quality which were not used for power stations as they burnt too hot for the furnaces

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back