London Porter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not saying the wont work but your possibly taking a big risk by not making a starter. You have no idea how the yeast has been treated between the lab in the US and when it gets to your door. To cut and paste from another thread,

"Have you ever bought anything from the US and tracked it using UPS. You'll see your goods will be picked up then sit in big depot to be sorted then it might go to one or two more depot's then transported to an east coast airport where it will wait again for a little while to then be flown over here to another depot before getting to your house. All of this waiting around in depots wont be refridgerated of course and the ice packs that the yeast are packed in will have melted ages ago"

Yes what you are saying is very true and i agree! thats why i made a starter today to limit the risk, and yes several months ago i ordered parts for work and when i tracked the parcel it ended in in washington dc not washington in the north east :shock:

I can imagine :-P. Clibit's black sabbath uses a belgian yeast (i think) and everyone raves about it. Which yeast did you use speciffically?

Tbh i cant remember but its in my todays 19ltr biab thread, talking of which can you rename it for me please as im using a Mash Tun now

If you try it and dont like it i will give you the 6 quid! did i see on a thread over the weekend you needed some hops?

Thanks for the help Gents. I just got the Greg Hughes book but not tried anything from it yet. Would i be able to pitch the St peters porter yeast i have in the fridge(been in there 3 weeks) or should i just use some new stuff? Will be doing a half batch as 5kg of grain is too much for my boiler. Cheers

Thanks for the help Gents. I just got the Greg Hughes book but not tried anything from it yet. Would i be able to pitch the St peters porter yeast i have in the fridge(been in there 3 weeks) or should i just use some new stuff? Will be doing a half batch as 5kg of grain is too much for my boiler. Cheers

The yeast will be fine. Though I've never used it so no idea how good it is.

Tbh i cant remember but its in my todays 19ltr biab thread, talking of which can you rename it for me please as im using a Mash Tun now

If you try it and dont like it i will give you the 6 quid! did i see on a thread over the weekend you needed some hops?

Thanks but Tony1951 has very kindly sorted me out for some Admiral. What would you like me to call your 19ltr BIAB thread now? (Your probably asking the wrong mod to rename your thread - *:hmm wonder what I can come up with* :twisted:)

Thanks but Tony1951 has very kindly sorted me out for some Admiral. What would you like me to call your 19ltr BIAB thread now? (Your probably asking the wrong mod to rename your thread - *:hmm wonder what I can come up with* :twisted:)
Not exactly original but stevejs brew days would do please :thumb:
Or stevejs brews

Why not leave the BIAB thread as it is and start a new one - or the new name won't apply to everything you've done up to now. :-D

Why not leave the BIAB thread as it is and start a new one - or the new name won't apply to everything you've done up to now. :-D

I will just change the title stating Mash Tun to keep my sorry your recipes in one place :thumb:

I'm brewing this beer soon. Absolutely love Fullers London Porter. I'm going to use the 1968 Wyeast.

The yeast is where I deviate. I use a yeast that is free from esters, I don't like estery dark beers. It seems...

Well, I think I can detect slight esters in the actual beer, but not the banana-like esters that you get at higher temps with some ale yeasts. What I'll try is fermenting quite cool and then warm it up to finish. I've never used the Wyeast 1968.

It only occurred to me recently that ester production depends on the original gravity if the beer (maybe I was being a bit dim). I can now understand more why people use US-05 and it's liquid variants for barley wines and other strong ales.

Back