London Porter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not done it with Fuggles myself. I've used Progress, Northdown, First Gold. I'm going to do a porter soon, probably use Bram X.

Joey when i put your recipe into brewers friend I get an ABV of 6%. Is this correct? Presume its for a 23l boil. Thanks

Correct. I followed the Graham Wheeler recipe for 25 litres rather than 23 and accidentally boiled off more than I intended. This is probably around 5.6% as I added some water post boil.

Sorry I can't be more precise! I did this brew to stop me from feeling so depressed about going back to work and so I didn't write it down...

Correct. I followed the Graham Wheeler recipe for 25 litres rather than 23 and accidentally boiled off more than I intended. This is probably around 5.6% as I added some water post boil.

Sorry I can't be more precise! I did this brew to stop me from feeling so depressed about going back to work and so I didn't write it down...

I can thoroughly recommend not going back to work!

Sorry Joey....

It's ok Clibit. I've just been teaching a (by my standards) pretty good year 8 lesson and had two potential new head teachers drop in and check my books (which, unsurprisingly, haven't been marked in ages due to me spending loads of time on re-sits and y11 coursework.)

Sadly they'll only remember the books. Welcome to education 2015: Forget the classroom management and focus solely on the paperwork.

It's ok Clibit. I've just been teaching a (by my standards) pretty good year 8 lesson and had two potential new head teachers drop in and check my books (which, unsurprisingly, haven't been marked in ages due to me spending loads of time on re-sits and y11 coursework.)

Sadly they'll only remember the books. Welcome to education 2015: Forget the classroom management and focus solely on the paperwork.

It's a bleedin nightmare. Politicians screw up everything that matters. :thumb:

Well this has been in for nearly two weeks and the yeast on top is still pretty thick. Gravity is 1015. What should I do?
Also: I sort of want to savour this one and so don't want to keg it. Bottles also make good Christmas gifts!

Well this has been in for nearly two weeks and the yeast on top is still pretty thick. Gravity is 1015. What should I do?
Also: I sort of want to savour this one and so don't want to keg it. Bottles also make good Christmas gifts!

What should it get down to Joey? Looking forward to hearing how it comes out. Definitely wanna brew this. Just got sidetracked doing a few other brews but i plan to chuck it on the yeast from a St Peters Honey Porter next week. Best of luck.

ATTACH]

Couldn't resist a cheeky sample and it's got the makings of a lovely porter. The GW recipe is good but I added some extra black malt so as to get it looking darker and it's still very dark brown as opposed to black. Very tasty, though. The Willamette has given it an earthy base and the goldings come through as a subtle aftertaste.
The big thing here is the yeast: it has a really clean aftertaste and allows the slightly burnt aroma of the malt to come through.

Need to leave it longer but it's going to be tough!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1448708911869.jpg
    470 KB · Views: 158
I'm managing to hold off, Cat. I've got a corny of brown ale that I'm quaffing and is helping me keep my mitts off the bottles!
I did crack one at the weekend and it is my best porter yet.

Back