Looking for keg advice please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may be barking up the wrong tree, but have a look at this.
Thinking about that set-up, my concern would be that the element heats the liquid in the immediate vicinity to too high a temp before the rest of the liquid increases in temp, thus killing yeast? Others with more experience will provide feedback on this.

Ah, yes, Nottsbeer I think you are probably right.
What it needs is a heated jacket I think. Something with some subtle heat just to retain the mild heat in the vessel.
Can't go down the brew fridge route I'm afraid, or the shed. Maybe something USB. I'll look into that as well,

Ah, yes, Nottsbeer I think you are probably right.
What it needs is a heated jacket I think. Something with some subtle heat just to retain the mild heat in the vessel.
Can't go down the brew fridge route I'm afraid, or the shed. Maybe something USB. I'll look into that as well,
A peat pad worked well for me when I started brewing again, with a blanket wrapped around the vessel (I still use that method when I make wine). You can get heat belts but I've no idea how well they work. I think I've read on here someone sitting their FV in a water bath to regulate the temp as well.

A peat pad worked well for me when I started brewing again, with a blanket wrapped around the vessel (I still use that method when I make wine). You can get heat belts but I've no idea how well they work. I think I've read on here someone sitting their FV in a water bath to regulate the temp as well.
You could use an internal heater like this. Homebrew, Home brew equipment, TE75 Immersion Heater, fermenter | eBay

When I first started 20 odd years ago I used this set up. May work well?

This all looks as if it may work. A heat pad and the immersion heater may be all that's needed. I saw a heat retaining jacket the other day. Just got to remember where!
Its great to have all the posh equipment but when you haven't the room for the big stuff you have to get round the problems somehow. Some of the set-ups are really almost micro-brew level. In the end, for me anyway, its the beer that's important. Getting it to the glass is work!

This all looks as if it may work. A heat pad and the immersion heater may be all that's needed. I saw a heat retaining jacket the other day. Just got to remember where!
Its great to have all the posh equipment but when you haven't the room for the big stuff you have to get round the problems somehow. Some of the set-ups are really almost micro-brew level. In the end, for me anyway, its the beer that's important. Getting it to the glass is work!
I'm sure you'll make some great tasting beer👍. Interestingly, depending on which kits you go for, some come with hops for dry hopping. If you decide to venture beyond kits in the future, there is a very good thread on here on how to do simple AG brewing with minimal kit. It's what gave me the confidence to move to AG 🍻🍻

I'm sure you'll make some great tasting beer👍. Interestingly, depending on which kits you go for, some come with hops for dry hopping. If you decide to venture beyond kits in the future, there is a very good thread on here on how to do simple AG brewing with minimal kit. It's what gave me the confidence to move to AG 🍻🍻
That'll be a broad learning curve for me I'm afraid. Almost none of the kits I used to make are on the market now so I'll need to buy on recommendation, and even then, I may not like them. I used to change stuff around even with the standard kits. I remember a Hambleton Bard kit. It was a dark ale version, dry powder in a bag inside a box. I used muscovado sugar instead of the usual and it was really nice. I'll need you to gen me up on what "AG" is or point me to a glossary! Its that early for me.

That'll be a broad learning curve for me I'm afraid. Almost none of the kits I used to make are on the market now so I'll need to buy on recommendation, and even then, I may not like them. I used to change stuff around even with the standard kits. I remember a Hambleton Bard kit. It was a dark ale version, dry powder in a bag inside a box. I used muscovado sugar instead of the usual and it was really nice. I'll need you to gen me up on what "AG" is or point me to a glossary! Its that early for me.
Sorry about the abbreviation. AG is All Grain. This is the thread on easy start into that Have a go at simple AG

You'll find quite a few threads on here discussing kits so you'll find a recommended one for your tastes. If you have a favorite beer you'll probably find a kit making that, or something similar. I've done a couple of Festival kits which were good, and many here recommend the Mango Jacks kits. 👍

Hey @2pints! I live in Maidstone and would be happy to show you my setup with corny kegs and talk you through it all. I also use a Cygnet/Burco boiler so can show you that too.

As it happens I have a pressure barrel or two doing nothing if you decide to expand your pressure barrel capacity instead - no cost of course.

I may be barking up the wrong tree, but have a look at this.
That's not an FV, it looks like a peco boiler for brewing all grain, I used one similar for years to brew with. If you was looking for a simple way to control fermentation temperature you might be better looking at making a water bath where you would sit your FV in a bigger bucket of water that is warmed by an aquarium heater. I used to do this with a builders Flexi-tub before I had a dedicated fridge

Sorry, I replied and then continued reading the thread, if you are short in space then a water bath might not be the best option, as already suggested a heat belt or pad coupled with an inkbird would take up less space and probably be a better option

Hi Hazelwood Brewery. Thanks, that would be great. First hand experience is always a bonus! Bit busy at the moment though but I'll be in touch soon. I'm only at the top of Bluebell hill.

Hi gavp1979. I've been in touch with the guy who is selling all his stuff off on here, one part of which is that FV bin in the picture and he says they were his three vessel set up he was using it as a FV with an inkbird controller. He made it from a FV bin but I've since discounted this method after the valid point that Nottsbeer gave about killing the yeast around the element. I imagine that it would need to be on a very very low heat to be of any use and I'm not sure that the inkbird would be capable of the very low temperature. He may well chip-in on this on here, you never know!

I'm close to buying a reconditioned 19ltr Corny bin. I have a couple of days until my 5% discount runs out with BKT and I need to up the order to over eighty pounds to get free delivery so I will be phoning them tomorrow after I return from (hopefully) getting an MOT on my car. I only want to buy stuff that I won't get for less money elsewhere though as that would be pointless.

Hi Obscure. This is what I needed to know. I'm looking to use a Corny keg just in the way I did with the plastic barrel. I don't want to have a second fridge. We already have a fridge freezer that's used for domestic service and at the moment, we could do without the cost on the energy bill of running an extra unit.
I think I could probably sort out the basic system for about £100 and then perhaps add some stuff on later. What got me thinking was the comment that I would end up with a lot of foam if I didn't use a fridge. The thought of drinking ale at the same temperature as lager doesn't figure with me.
Need some ideas about that FV heater though as its a bit cold in parts of our house. We heat using a wood burner and the heat doesn't get to some of the rooms.
Get a heating belt mate, they’re relatively inexpensive (sub £20) and basically wraps orotund your FV and keep it at your desired temperature.

You could use an internal heater like this. Homebrew, Home brew equipment, TE75 Immersion Heater, fermenter | eBay

When I first started 20 odd years ago I used this set up. May work well?
I have one of these and it works very well, the temp adjustment is a bit of a pfaff to get right but i was lucky in that mine came set at 21 degrees which is exactly what i required.

They come already with a rubber bung that the cable runs through and has a secondary hole in the bung for your air trap

Well really, that's one of the things I'm going to do, along with a jacket round the vessel to keep the heat in. I may buy the sub heater if I think I need it.
The way I look at it, the more basic it is the better. The only thing I need to keep an eye on is the length of time it takes to ferment out. If it takes three weeks then I may need to get the heat mat, (maybe)
I know all the tech guys will leap on me but I never have had even an air trap. The lid of the bin fits so well it vets on the rim. Never had even one brew go wrong, then when the finings go in, I just snap the lid all the way on. Some will think I'm mad!

Well really, that's one of the things I'm going to do, along with a jacket round the vessel to keep the heat in. I may buy the sub heater if I think I need it.
The way I look at it, the more basic it is the better. The only thing I need to keep an eye on is the length of time it takes to ferment out. If it takes three weeks then I may need to get the heat mat, (maybe)
I know all the tech guys will leap on me but I never have had even an air trap. The lid of the bin fits so well it vets on the rim. Never had even one brew go wrong, then when the finings go in, I just snap the lid all the way on. Some will think I'm mad!
I used a plastic bin for my first brew and couldn’t get anything coming from the air lock as the lid didn’t seal very well, but it turned out great so i was happy.

TBH, i mostly use a heating mat which runs through an inkbird to maintain a steady temperature, but the submersible fish tank style works just as well when i use it

Well I have today ordered a standard 19L setup so I'll be looking for a decent kit to start off with.
Thanks for all the help on here and I'll report back from time to time with no doubt some more questions! Thanks.

I now have the corny 19ltr kit. Just need to sort the Co2 supply and order my first beer kit. (Any suggestions?)
I have a couple of pub Co2 cylinders that I use for my mig. They aren't argon but I'll check on how much is in them.

I now have the corny 19ltr kit. Just need to sort the Co2 supply and order my first beer kit. (Any suggestions?)
I have a couple of pub Co2 cylinders that I use for my mig. They aren't argon but I'll check on how much is in them.
I don’t think you will regret gett a keg mate, but when you say kit, what exactly did you get?

for starters you will need to be able to carbonate your chosen beer and for that you need C02. I use a large bottle of C02, just the same as you would hook up to a welding machine, think it’s 6.5kg from memory, also a regulator to get your gas out and adjust pressures etc. Then you need a gas line in from your regulator to the ”gas in” post on the keg and for that you need the disconnect to attach to your post, gas line to reg, and probably John Guest fittings to hook it all up.

then to get your beer out you need another disconnect and a tap, party taps are adequate and relatively inexpensive and widely available.

without knowing what kit you bought it’s difficult to say what you really need mate, but the above should get you up and running once you decide what beer kit you want. I prefer IPA’s and have 3 “all grain” kits to start once I get some time, but for quickness there are literally loads of “extract kits” out there. It all depends on your taste and what beer styles you like.

Back