Lots of rubbish at bottom of FV.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Britannia

Reaction score
Hi all. I've been brewing for a short while now. What I want to know is whether the build-up at the bottom of the FV is avoidable or not. The pictures are of a Brewdog Hop Fiction clone (not dry hopped, but steeped for 20 minutes) after 14 days and a Greg Hughes American Stout after 7 days.
Brews are approx. 11 litres, all grain, done on a gas hob in stock pots, cooled in the sink, then passed through a colander to remove hops, and a Richies sparge bag for other bits.
I skim off the hot break stuff while it's coming up to temp and at the start of the boil. I seem to be losing about 2+ litres. I've tried using a sediment trap with and without a Richies kit small straining bag. which just blocks up.
Is it something I will have to live with, or are there any remedies?
20210308_094846[1].jpg
20210308_094921[1].jpg

trub is normal its just the byproduct of fermentation, I will lose about 2l for 20l batch looks like you have about 1.5 which is a little excessive but not totally unusual some yeasts will have more than others . you have flocculating yeast, krausen, proteins etc that will just accumulate and fall out of suspension. Looking at your FV you could add a litre extra volume and still have enough headspace to offset the loss

You will have minimal trub if you have crystal clear wort going into your fermentor. Best way to do that is get clear runnings from your mash, then use a mix of copper finings towards the end of the boil at the right time and at the right pH, and then cool it quickly and let the hot break/hops etc settle out so you can easily separatethat from the clear wort into your fermentor

Thank you for your prompt replies and god advice. I will take each in turn.

Smcc, yeast I tend to favour is Safale US-05, which states sedimentation is medium. As for headspace, I am limited by the volume of the stock-pot I use for the boil; 13.5 litres of wort is pushing it, and I don't think I should dilute after.

Hanglow, as I am a "table top" brewer I sparge in a spare FV with the mashed grains in a sparge bag with the sparge water poured over and left for 20 mins; then the bag is taken out and left to drain (I do give it a little squeeze, which may be wrong), so I don't think I have any way, with my present set-up, to recirculate. I do add half a Protofloc tablet with 15 mins of the boil left. Tried whirlpooling at the end, but can't get the hang of it, which is why I put it though a sieve and sparge bag at the end.

Hi all. I've been brewing for a short while now. What I want to know is whether the build-up at the bottom of the FV is avoidable or not. The pictures are of a Brewdog Hop Fiction clone (not dry hopped, but steeped for 20 minutes) after 14 days and a Greg Hughes American Stout after 7 days.
Brews are approx. 11 litres, all grain, done on a gas hob in stock pots, cooled in the sink, then passed through a colander to remove hops, and a Richies sparge bag for other bits.
I skim off the hot break stuff while it's coming up to temp and at the start of the boil. I seem to be losing about 2+ litres. I've tried using a sediment trap with and without a Richies kit small straining bag. which just blocks up.
Is it something I will have to live with, or are there any remedies?
.View attachment 42823View attachment 42822
I recently bought this to combat this problem...I wanted trub out without moving the beer

Attachments

• IMG-20210303-WA0000.jpeg
    IMG-20210303-WA0000.jpeg
    30.7 KB · Views: 36
Thank you for your prompt replies and god advice. I will take each in turn.

Smcc, yeast I tend to favour is Safale US-05, which states sedimentation is medium. As for headspace, I am limited by the volume of the stock-pot I use for the boil; 13.5 litres of wort is pushing it, and I don't think I should dilute after.

Hanglow, as I am a "table top" brewer I sparge in a spare FV with the mashed grains in a sparge bag with the sparge water poured over and left for 20 mins; then the bag is taken out and left to drain (I do give it a little squeeze, which may be wrong), so I don't think I have any way, with my present set-up, to recirculate. I do add half a Protofloc tablet with 15 mins of the boil left. Tried whirlpooling at the end, but can't get the hang of it, which is why I put it though a sieve and sparge bag at the end.
When I used to do BIAB, I built a wooden stand with a loop of bent steel bar to support a small washing-up bowl with its base cut out, around the rim of which was attached the bag.
spstd.jpg

This allowed me to recirculate the wort through the grainbed, using a jug and to sparge in the same manner. This sort of approach would help reduce the amount of murkiness getting into your kettle and therefore into your FV.

Are there any real tradeoffs with BIAB?

Compared to using something like a Grainfather, there are a number of considerations but the ultimate tradeoff would be that BIAB has reduced efficiency and limited ability to control body. This comes from a number of things - more accurate control of the mash temperature, stepped mashing, recirculation, more effective sparge. Capacity is probably a second tradeoff. But otherwise, both will produce good beer.

Latest posts

Back