Low alcohol beer and how to brew advise required (Diabetes)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The dodgy "freeze distilling" game.

But there's a problem with this. @The Baron has mentioned "Eisbock". Brewdog, famous for pushing the boundaries, do it to some of their beers (legally, without paying distilling taxes, apparently). But that's all to increase the alcohol content. Here it's using the same technique to reduce the alcohol content. All the flavour, colour, bitterness, miscellaneous stuff that makes beer ... beer, goes where? With the ice which is the waste product when increasing the alcohol? With the alcohol which is the waste product if trying to decrease the alcohol?

Now there's a bit of a conundrum! Got to be one or the other. Not both? My money is it stays with the more alcoholic component 'cos folk are already relying on that to turn out their stuff.

(Cor, I'm a boring old killjoy, ain't I?)

You can freeze the water out. Drain off the alcohol and some liquid.
Then defrost and I suppose carbonate although you could do it in the keg freeze the carbonated beer and tap off the alcohol.

Freeze solid, invert, alcohol runs out.
Thaw what's left (beer).
Bottle, prime and inoculate.

Sounds like a pita.

All the flavour, colour, bitterness, miscellaneous stuff that makes beer ... beer, goes where? With the ice which is the waste product when increasing the alcohol? With the alcohol which is the waste product if trying to decrease the alcohol?

Now there's a bit of a conundrum! Got to be one or the other. Not both?

Why?

Some stuff is soluble in water. Some in alcohol.

I have just received my beanassist.

Settled on these, cos they are just alpha-galactosidase nothing else.

Next brew on soon to test.

Attachments

• 20240206_102943.jpg
    20240206_102943.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 0
The dodgy "freeze distilling" game.

But there's a problem with this. @The Baron has mentioned "Eisbock". Brewdog, famous for pushing the boundaries, do it to some of their beers (legally, without paying distilling taxes, apparently). But that's all to increase the alcohol content. Here it's using the same technique to reduce the alcohol content. All the flavour, colour, bitterness, miscellaneous stuff that makes beer ... beer, goes where? With the ice which is the waste product when increasing the alcohol? With the alcohol which is the waste product if trying to decrease the alcohol?

Now there's a bit of a conundrum! Got to be one or the other. Not both? My money is it stays with the more alcoholic component 'cos folk are already relying on that to turn out their stuff.

(Cor, I'm a boring old killjoy, ain't I?)
Come on PeeBee I thought you would do it and report back:laugh8:

Why?

Some stuff is soluble in water. Some in alcohol.
Quite possibly. I won't dispute that. So ... ?

Come on PeeBee I thought you would do it and report back:laugh8:
I've said: I've made up my mind, I've laid me bet, I'd be cheating if trying to prove it experimentally. I'll leave the "doing it and reporting back" to someone else. I've got eight beans on the outcome and am looking forward to the result 🧐

Well you don’t have to make a whole batch to try this out just freeze 500ml and see what happens? I think the “ice” fraction will be water with a little alcohol (as brewdog report losing a little alcohol in the process).

Well you don’t have to make a whole batch to try this out just freeze 500ml and see what happens? I think the “ice” fraction will be water with a little alcohol (as brewdog report losing a little alcohol in the process).

That certainly would be valid tester and the recarbonate with a pop top.

There are two methods that come to mind to produce a low alcohol beer.

Let's start with the oldest:
This method was used in the middle ages when water usually wasn't safe to drink.
The re-mashed beers were even given to children to drink.

Brew your beer like you normally do.
Just don't discard your used grains.
Use those "spent" grains to mash anew to a full brew.
This amounts to less sugars = less alcohol.
Perhaps it is even possible to repeat this process once more to produce a beer with even less alcohol.

The second method that I know of:
Eliminate your base malts and use only specialty malts.
BrewDog's DIY DOG also describes this method for brewing their Nanny State beer at 0,5%ABV.
With a target OG of 1007 and a target FG od 1005.

Also a single step mash at 65*C for 30 mins.

When I used the enzyme I put some in the mash and then some in the fermenter, the brut IPA got down to 1.001.
I did step mash.

How much did you use?

I found this from Murphy's. Thinking 1g (3 tablets) in 25l. Added to ferment only.

Attachments

• 57507-Amyloglucosidase-Rev-5.pdf
    451.3 KB · Views: 0
why not halve your grain bill and increase hop additions to make a 2% pale bitter?

I hope they are magic beans

Well the die is caste.

Mashed 5kg of old random grains yesterday. Read 11 brix, Added 3 magic beans. Made 13 brix.
So something happened.

I have now pitched and I plan to add some 1kg ish of sugar in a couple of days, so from here in the numbers will be doubious.

Fermentation going like a train.

Bone dry in two days.
Nice to have a brew to mess with. Sprinkled 1kg on sugar in it. The yeast burst into life in about 3seconds quite a surprise. Foamed over again 😁

I will do it again tomorrow and video it. Quite bizarre.

Latest posts

Back