Low Cost Homebrew Wine Storage

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rozza2010

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm sure this topic has been discussed a lot, I have seen a few posts regarding it nothing I feel any different from what I have already thought.

One of the main ideas I am having at the moment in order to store a larger amount of wine is using 5L wine bag in boxes. Perhaps buying a few with the box and then purchasing just the bags.

I am hoping I can then store wine in the bags and lay them on top of each other (perhaps 3) within a normal larger box.

When I want to use one, I take out the bag and put it into a box. Then stick it in the fridge.

I have about 2 of the 23L barrels but the main problem is consuming it all in one go and ensuring its chilled enough. Although I do like the idea of having wine on a tap in the kitchen haha.

The bags with boxes can get quite expensive when you start thinking I need 10 or 20 of them.

Any thoughts are more than welcome??

Cheers

Personally, I use glass bottles but an option that works well for white wines that have already been conditioned in the 23L fermenting bucket is 2L PET water/pop bottles.
I used to brew for my sister to take wine back to university and these worked great.
The wine will happily store for a few months so long as the bottles are full and they fit nicely in the fridge.
When you've had a drink, just squeeze the sides to remove the air, screw the top back on and chuck it back in the fridge.
Much easier than messing with bags and boxes.

I agree with pop bottles, for white wows and kits I use 1L lucasada bottles and any 500ml pet bottles, its also easy to carbonate the wine with priming sugar if you don't mind a little bit of sediment at the bottom of the bottles.

Glass demo johns then bottles for anything longterm.

Thanks for your feedback, that is one awesome wine rack.

Does wine not store as well in the wine bags? If not I might just stick to normal glass bottles.

I bought some perry in a 3 litre box. The taste was not too much to my liking and it has sat on a shelf for years. The best before date is June 2011. I just tried some and it is much improved, in fact really nice, which proves a few important points. With a rearrangement of the fridge shelves, it could be stored upright, but is easily stored on its side. If you want to serve your wine in a bottle, simply decant into one. The tap is a push fit and fairly easy to remove and replace after refilling, although there will come a point when it may start to leak, being a disposable design.

I have been storing my wine in 10 litre bag in the box.
A 23 litre brew fits into 2 bags & the rest I bottle.
I use the box lots of times & just buy new bags.
The boxes get a bit tatty after about 10 refills or so.
I was going to use 20 litre bags & boxes but I don't think my shelves would stand the weight !!
I did try to think up some sort of a wooden / plastic box idea for holding the bags but never really came up with anything sensible.
I buy the bags & boxes from these guys......
http://www.baginboxonline.co.uk/buyit1.html
:thumb:

Yes my old boxes are held together now with gaffer tape. I did find a cardboard box the right size, but that too now needs gaffer tape. I saw a 20 litre oak barrel on ebay which is designed to take a wine box (or bag). The end is removable and there is a flat shelf inside. It would last a lifetime, but costs £80, plus £20 for delivery from Poland.

Wine racks can be picked up cheaply from boot fairs, which is where most of mine came from. I found a long plastic 10 mm diameter pipe in my neighbour's front garden, left over from some building work. Cut to bottle lengths, you could build an entire wall of custom width and height with this stuff.

Latest posts

Back