Low initial starting gravity

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillFrites

Reaction score
Good evening all! Just tested the gravity of a Youngs Harvest Stout I set off on the 9th March.
The initial gravity was 1015......which I seemed to feel was very low: maybe just me. Ten days later it is at 1011.
Making it currently at 0.53% abv.
Should I be worried? Did I maybe misread the starting gravity?

A common thing with kits is the malt doesn't quite get mixed in properly at the start. This can give you a false reading. More importantly it looks like you're well on the right track for it finishing correctly. Most issues with kits can be a stuck fermentation where you can't get it to be where it should be. Give it a full two weeks and check it again..if its the same bottle or keg it.

A common thing with kits is the malt doesn't quite get mixed in properly at the start. This can give you a false reading. More importantly it looks like you're well on the right track for it finishing correctly. Most issues with kits can be a stuck fermentation where you can't get it to be where it should be. Give it a full two weeks and check it again..if its the same bottle or keg it.
Thanks for that...tasted the sample and it was blooming lovely. A real coffee flavoured stout. I mean I am sure its not full mash homebrew like a lot of people here. But hey im proud so far. :beer1:

Latest posts

Back