Lurker steps out of the shadows...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moonraker

Reaction score
Hello All,

Having spent a few days reading various threads after having found the forum in the results of a google search for a homebrew recipe, I thought I'd join in.

My first attempt at homebrew was back in 1984 at school for our graduation party, but then didn't really get into it proper until 1999, producing a few gallons of wine each Autumn for a good few years. Divorce put paid to that, but now re-married we moved to a new house 2 years ago with 6 mature apple trees of different varieties in the garden. You guessed it - cider! :^)

First stab last year produced 4 gallons, 2 completely undrinkable that ended up down the sink, but 2 that were really nice if a bit on the strong side (flavour and alcohol!) and completely flat, but mixing with cheap shop cider toned them down a bit and gave a bit of fizz. I did a beer brewkit during lockdown (making sensible use of the time) worked out what I'd done wrong, and bought a whole bunch of DJs off Gumtree - so this year it will be all hands to the scratter and press when I harvest the apples in October....

Cheers! :^)

Welcome Moonraker!

Sounds like you have a plan already set and ready to go, every time you make it it'll get better.
Practice makes perfect thumb.

I have a rather acceptable summer fruits cider on tap at the moment, the boss has it as her 'go to' when the mood takes her :beer1:

Wellcome to the forum!

I hope you didn't chuck those ciders to soon. My first batch seemed undrinkable, but in fact needed only time to become drinkable. It took almost a year of maturing in a dark corner of the gardenshed. So don't give up to easily!

Happy brewing! :smallcheers:

Wellcome to the forum!

I hope you didn't chuck those ciders to soon. My first batch seemed undrinkable, but in fact needed only time to become drinkable. It took almost a year of maturing in a dark corner of the gardenshed. So don't give up to easily!

Happy brewing! :smallcheers:

Many thanks. But no, I think it was completely beyond redemption, it was my second batch and after fermentation stopped I'd left it far too long on the dead yeast before racking off to clean DJs so it had developed this horrible fousty smell and taste. Rule of thumb seems to be not to leave it more than 2 weeks before racking off?

Tot ziens! :^)

Welcome.
I've made cider that has been too sour to drink and then, after 6 or 9 months, it's mellowed down nicely. If you want fizzy cider, you're going to have to prime and bottle it like beer. By the time the apples are ready to fall, the worst of the summer heat is over and it's perfectly fine to leave the cider on the yeast for weeks or months. Wash the apples down with a garden hose to get the crud off, and some of the wild yeasts, and pitch with a cider or champagne yeast just to make sure that you're getting the fermentation you really want instead of some weird, alien yeast-form with cheesy feet.
Talking of which, I've been asked on more than one occasion, how do you tread the apples? It's always good to go for the windup and mention the hobnail boots you keep specially for the occasion.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! I like to make cider too and recently found this website The Wittenham Hill Cider Pages. The Author has written a book with all this information in which I'm reading now and it's really good. There doesn't seem to be detailed cider making websites/books like there are beer making but this is the exception.

Back