Making sure my water is good

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottM

Landlord.
Reaction score
Is there anything quick and easy I can do to make sure my water is ok for brewing? I was only brewing kits but I didn't have a lot of success until I started using bottled water.

I'm not really sure if there was anything else that I did to make the change from toilet water to highly drinkable so I'm just wondering if there is something I can do to make sure it's good to go.

Last thing I want is to make 23L of pigslop again but at the same time I'm fed up humfing back 24L of water from asda :D

I'm only a newbee but from what I've read it depends a lot on your local water and what you are brewing. You can ask your supplier for details of your water or it may be on their website. I'm in a very hard water area and I am brewing Larger and Wheat Bear so I am only using Sainsburys Basic water at £0.17 per 2L. I have read that hard water is not very good for Larger and I also don't like all the **** they add to our tap water.

I am only a new brewer so don't take my word for it and wait for other replys.

What are you brewing? Where are you brewing it?

As said mate water is different for area to area.

I myself use morrinsons spring water, 17p a bottle for 2 liters, you may have to lug it back, but the taste is better and doesn't affect fermentation.

Yeah I think I'll just stick with it then. Asda is the same, 17p for 2L, so it doesn't exactly break the bank to do it right lol.

The water is amazing for drinking, but I guess it just isn't ideal for brewing.

You need a water report from your water company. When you have the details put the results in the forum water treatment calculator and it will tell you what to add. An alkali testing kit would also be good. You can buy them on e bay.

Mark1964 said:
You need a water report from your water company. When you have the details put the results in the forum water treatment calculator and it will tell you what to add. An alkali testing kit would also be good. You can buy them on e bay.

Yeah, that's far too much hassle for making a kit or 2 every few months lol. I'll just stick with adding £1.70 to my brew costing :D

Honestly if your water is drinkable out of the tap it should be fine to brew with. Extract brewing is ok to use bottled water, for the needed minerals and nutrients will be gained from boiling the extract. All grain requires you "build" your water a lot of times depending on the style you are making. I start with DI filtered water and add the compounds I need for the particular beer I'm brewing. The only thing really detrimental as far as water is concerned is chlorine.

Honestly though learn every other aspect of brewing before you start fooling with water chemistry. If bottled water works for you, rock on. Use the bottled water and learn everything else that is essential to the hobby.

As far as your beers not turning out, water might not be the source of your problem. Examine things like sanitation and infections first and foremost.

You must know your alkalinity buy a salifert test kit from e-bay and test the water yourself then log on to the Brupacks website and read Information water treatment on additions of CRS( carbonate reducing solution) and DLS ( dry liquor salts) for mineral additions. And treat with a camden tablet per 10 gallons of water for removal of chlorine. I have rinsed out the drains in my area more than once due to inbalanced water. :cheers:
Good luck

Latest posts

Back