Making Wine from Sweets - what to avoid?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChewedKandi

Reaction score
Hey All,

So I've been thinking about making wine from sweets since I'm due to have a spare DJ soon and working from the theory if it's got sugar, you can make alcohol from it, I was wondering if there are any specific ingredients I should avoid which would prevent it from becoming a wine?

I noticed the Skittles thread viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44074 and thought that looked interesting, but perhaps trying a different sweet. The other half loves Turkish Delight, but I was wondering if the gelatin content would affect it?

Any advice would be great :)

Hmmmm.
Obviously you need to avoid preservatives: sulphites, sorbates, maybe other stuff in sweets.
Some will contain appreciable amounts of fats, or non-fermentable starches

The sweets :whistle: :whistle:

If you have gor a spare DJ there are a lot better things to put in it than sweets. :evil:

if you want Turkish delight

make some rose petal wine

it does take about a year for the Turkish delight flavour to mature

mine is about 6 months old and I opens a bottle last night
pleasantly supprised to tast a hint of Turkish delight already :-)

at this time of year you have 2 options
1) dried rose petals from local HBS or forum sponsors
2) rose cordial from Asian supermarket

graysalchemy said:
The sweets :whistle: :whistle:

If you have got a spare DJ there are a lot better things to put in it than sweets. :evil:

For myself, I agree with you, but each to his own and hey it might be the discovery of the century.
Does seem an expensive way to buy sugar, even if it does come with some flavouring

I don't drink alcohol myself, but I'm enjoying the process of making wine... so the experimental side of this all is what is appealing to me most! Plus if I can make something like a turkish delight flavouring, that's a bonus!

Thanks for the advice all - and I'll check out the rose petal wine :)

I used about half the quantity of petals advised in the recipes i found online
I basically used the same recipe I used with my elderflowers
still have lovely colour and taste

everyone who try it, say it is better than the elderflower :thumb:

follow a recipe for elderflower and substitute the rose

or if you use a cordial, just dilute as advised on the bottle....

don't forget flower wines will need nutrients !

godfrey said:
I used about half the quantity of petals advised in the recipes i found online
I basically used the same recipe I used with my elderflowers
still have lovely colour and taste

everyone who try it, say it is better than the elderflower :thumb:

follow a recipe for elderflower and substitute the rose

or if you use a cordial, just dilute as advised on the bottle....

don't forget flower wines will need nutrients !

Put together a coffee wine in the spare DJ this evening for the time being, but I'm looking into rose petal wine for the next experiment. Thank you for the advice on this, I appreciate it.

Are people actively encouraged to post about their experiments on here by the way? I don't know what the etiquette is on posting your current projects.

Yes put your results in the Wine & Cider Brewdays section. People will be interested in the results. Unlike beer though wine takes a bit longer to mature so in some cases the result may be a year after your brewday if you remember. :D But put on what you did as others may be interested in giving it a try.

Latest posts

Back