Malt extact/spray malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

borischarlton

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been lurking for a while and learning loads from all the posts. I have made a few brews from extract and have done a not very successfull brew using steeped malted grains and extract. I am gradually getting all the kit together for all grain brewing and this weekend I will use my new boiler for the first time. I managed to get a 26 litre burco from ebay for a really good price and am going to make the porter style brew as seen here:-

http://www.howtobrew.com/section2/chapter13-3.html

It calls for 6lb of malt extract syrup. Can I replace this for spray malt? If so is there a conversion ratio?? I am not that worried about the cost at the moment but it does seem far cheaper using the dried stuff.

Many Thanks

Rob

IMO, spray malt produces a much better result than liquid . . . and as liquid extract is about 20% water you need to use 20% less spray malt than liquid extract called for in the recipe.

Incidentally you can mix spray malt in cold water, which stops the problems caused by condensation sticking up the bags as you try to pour it . . . it also seems to mix with less lumps than when you mix it hot.

good tip about the spraymalt - do you have any tips on priming bottles with spraymalt - i use a small funnel but it tends to get cloged up easily -takes ages!!

rickthebrew said:
good tip about the spraymalt - do you have any tips on priming bottles with spraymalt - i use a small funnel but it tends to get cloged up easily -takes ages!!
Dissolve it in water and boil it. Buy a syringe from your local chemist and use that to dose the bottles :thumb:

tubby_shaw said:
rickthebrew said:
Dissolve it in water and boil it. Buy a syringe from your local chemist and use that to dose the bottles :thumb:
What He Said!!

I wish this thread had been at 9.55 yesterday MORNING.
I would have saved myself alot of time priming 46 bottles. It certainly is sticky stuff!
Great tip guys :thumb:

Back