Malt forward German style?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Baron

Staff member
Reaction score
I use a recipe that is usually 1/3rd each of Pale Ale Malt, Vienna and Munich with typical German hops for a nice maltyish brew but I am wanting to make it more malt forward what would you add to this recipe and how much to ?

Drop the pale malt for Vienna. The Vienna lager I’ve brewed a few times has been 75% Munich 25% Vienna.

Will do CC and Mick
I have read of using Crystal which I am not sure of or Melanodin too
Maybe not in German styles but English

Just to add I have darker Munich 25 EBC against the standard I use of 15 EBC will this give a sweeter maltier taste to it too as I have never used it before

Increase the proportion of Munich malt, or use a higher EBC Munich malt (ie, Munich II instead of Munich I). Or even dark Munich malt.

I bought the Munich as Dark malt for that reason but was surprised it was only 25 ebc against 15 ebc fo some reason I thought it would be more

I use a recipe that is usually 1/3rd each of Pale Ale Malt, Vienna and Munich with typical German hops for a nice maltyish brew but I am wanting to make it more malt forward what would you add to this recipe and how much to ?
An Alt beer is very malt forward

That's the recipe I used for an Altbier
3.4kg pilsner
1kg light Munich
500g cara Munich 3
50g carafe 3

15g magnum@60mins
20g tettnaget@15mins

Og 1.050

Latest posts

Back