Malt Suggestions ( from maltmiller)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braufather

Landlord.
Reaction score
Being this side of the water I pretty much use Geterbrewed for all my malt etc ( I’ve also used homebrew.ie in the past but their crush gives me wort fountain issues so don’t use them anymore.)

Only drawn back with geterbrewed is you only have a choice of crisp malts or weyerman. Whilst between them I can pretty much get what I need ( not always though, neither do Golden promise for example) after a few years now id like to try out a few different malt brands etc, out of curiosity as much as anything else so I’m going to put a sub 30kg order in with the malt miller to try out a few new ones and am after some suggestions.

Warminster MO is one id like to try and a lot of craft micros seem to use Simpsons so they are down to but an open to other suggestions?

Here is where I am at.

base malts

5kg Warminster Maris Otter ( for a centennial smash)

4.5 kg Simpsons Golden promise ( for a slight hazy tropical juicy pale)

Would also like 5kg of another pale/MO and 4.5KG of an extra pale or pilsner. ( For use in American pale/ipas) so any recommendations appreciated.

other malts
I’m going to order Simpsons caramalt and premium caramalt, but can anyone recommend a medium crystal? T50 maybe? anything else?

I will probably stick with weyerman for Munich but would be happy to hear alternatives.

also need a good dark malt for US ambers.

(90% of what I brew are American style pales/IPAs and ambers if that helps.)

Cheers.

essentially what id be interested to know has any one got any favourites ( excluding crisp and weyerman in this instance) stocked by the Maltmiller for a pale ale and an extra pale ale/pilsner, and a medium crystal?

The Homebrew company do Simpson’s Golden Promise plus others and weyermann, Castle Brewing, Minch Irish malt , Bestmalz and Muntons and are a lot cheaper than GEB or MM.

The Homebrew company do Simpson’s Golden Promise plus others and weyermann, Castle Brewing, Minch Irish malt , Bestmalz and Muntons and are a lot cheaper than GEB or MM.

i know, I’ve used them but The Crush is too fine for my system

I believe the maltmiller will crush to what you request. FWIW my last few sacks have been Fawcetts golden promise and have got really good efficiency.

I believe the maltmiller will crush to what you request. FWIW my last few sacks have been Fawcetts golden promise and have got really good efficiency.

Cheers, will bear that in mind. I was already thinking of trying fawcetts Maris otter and maybe caramel malt.

yes, sorry thas was who i meant. their crush is far too thin for my system and they cant change it unfortunately!
You need to buy a mill and uncrushed malts, then you can buy in bulk, crush what you need, when you need it, to the crush you want.

P.S.
I use Warminster Maris Otter as my base malt for everything except lagers.

You need to buy a mill and uncrushed malts, then you can buy in bulk, crush what you need, when you need it, to the crush you want.

P.S.
I use Warminster Maris Otter as my base malt for everything except lagers.

I think that’s where I’ll end up, buying a mill, and thatspart of it I guess, I want to try and find my favorite malts before I start buying in bulk and milling my own. Good to hear about Warminster MO, I’m looking forward to trying it out!

Does anyone know why there is such a variation in base malt prices between maltsters and vendors?

Eg, Minch malt from THC is £25 for a 25kg sack, but weyermans on brewuk is £50kg for a 25kg sack. Both pilsner malt.

I can understand market forces making a slight difference in price, but one being twice the price of the other is... Confusing. I haven't noticed people saying that one is much better than the other. 🤷‍♂️

I'm putting in an order this week, so will normally just go with the cheaper one

Last edited:
I do like weyerman pale and use it often but maybe not enough to pay double!

It’s cheaper on gerterbrewed (43) but still pricy.

I do like weyerman pale and use it often but maybe not enough to pay double!

It’s cheaper on gerterbrewed (43) but still pricy.
I'm curious. Why do you prefer it? I honestly can't really tell one batch of pale malt from another (but also haven't done side-by-side comparisons to test whether I can tell the difference properly)

Being this side of the water I pretty much use Geterbrewed for all my malt etc ( I’ve also used homebrew.ie in the past but their crush gives me wort fountain issues so don’t use them anymore.)

Only drawn back with geterbrewed is you only have a choice of crisp malts or weyerman. Whilst between them I can pretty much get what I need ( not always though, neither do Golden promise for example) after a few years now id like to try out a few different malt brands etc, out of curiosity as much as anything else so I’m going to put a sub 30kg order in with the malt miller to try out a few new ones and am after some suggestions.

Warminster MO is one id like to try and a lot of craft micros seem to use Simpsons so they are down to but an open to other suggestions?

Here is where I am at.

base malts

5kg Warminster Maris Otter ( for a centennial smash)

4.5 kg Simpsons Golden promise ( for a slight hazy tropical juicy pale)

Would also like 5kg of another pale/MO and 4.5KG of an extra pale or pilsner. ( For use in American pale/ipas) so any recommendations appreciated.

other malts
I’m going to order Simpsons caramalt and premium caramalt, but can anyone recommend a medium crystal? T50 maybe? anything else?

I will probably stick with weyerman for Munich but would be happy to hear alternatives.

also need a good dark malt for US ambers.

(90% of what I brew are American style pales/IPAs and ambers if that helps.)

Cheers.
Why not buy a grain mill?

That was my original thinking. Work out what malts I prefer then buy in bulk and mill at home, but have since found that pre crushed grain lasts 4 or 5 mo at the very least and assuming that the retailers mill will be much better than a home one I’m not sure if the benefits are worth the expense and hassle.

Does anyone know why there is such a variation in base malt prices between maltsters and vendors?

Eg, Minch malt from THC is £25 for a 25kg sack, but weyermans on brewuk is £50kg for a 25kg sack. Both pilsner malt.

I can understand market forces making a slight difference in price, but one being twice the price of the other is... Confusing. I haven't noticed people saying that one is much better than the other. 🤷‍♂️

I'm putting in an order this week, so will normally just go with the cheaper one
I would go minch over most malts it is a very good malt, and at 25 quid a bargain

Latest posts

Back