MaltMillers Giving it a Gose - Water Profile?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerald8_kop

Reaction score
Hey all

Never done an all grain sour or brewed with fruit before and so thought this kit would be a fun way to dip my toes in.

Episode 20 – Giving It A Gose | The Malt Miller

It uses acidulated malt (20%) in the latter half of a two hour mash to get the PH down but there is no mention of what the mash PH should actually be (BF works the recipe out to be 4.38) or of the target water profile.

My water company report gave me this FWIW but will use Brewfather for the maths once Ive a target to aim for:

Ca 73 / Mg 44 / HCO3 222 / Na 17 / Cl 49 / SO3 33

I await with interest!

Attachments

• Brewfather_LimeandTequilaGose_20201103.pdf
    112.9 KB · Views: 66
Typically a sour beer will have a pH in or around 3.5, but I've never soured with acid malt before. Obviously you'll want the mash pH to be in the typical range (5.4 give or take a couple of tenths) until conversion is complete, which is why the acid malt is added after an hour. I would recommend following the instructions as they are and then after fermentation you could add a little lactic acid if you felt it needed more acidity.

Regarding your water profile, I would lower the bicarbonate to about 30 or 40ppm but otherwise it's probably not too bad. Maybe I would add some calcium chloride to bring the calcium up to 100ppm or so. You're probably aware that the salt is best added to taste after the fermentation is done.

Latest posts

Back