Maltzilla going back.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BREWERS DROOP

Landlord.
Reaction score
So i purchased a Maltzilla mill to crush our speciality grains, and what a complete disaster this mill is, basically will take you a week to crush a bag of grain.Good job i am not crushing 60kg.Needs some serious redesigning. Anyone using this mill? Had discussions with Kegland who initially said i was not using it properly??? so i sent the videos of it not crushing on any setting, even the widest setting. So then i conditioned the grain at 1% left it for 4 hours, the grain flew through the mill. They then tell me, it does not work with wet grain, obviously it only works wet, wont crush a thing dry. I thought the Blichmann mill was bad enough, this is a complete joke, or have i got a dud. Would like some feedback from anyone using this.

Attachments

• VID_20210921_113145_480x360.mp4
    15 MB
  • VID_20210921_113509_480x360.mp4
    8.1 MB
  • VID_20210921_113538_480x360.mp4
    4.9 MB
Looked at the design and wasn't the slightest tempted.

I've got a Matmill classic from Germany for over 10 years now, but I'm drooling over this piece of equipment.

The owner told me that a mill with larger rollers is in the works, so I'm patiently waiting for that one.

Ought to be hard to beat.
I blotted my copy book with Matthias, I have one of his grain mills but I imported a copy of his helix from China.🙈 Cost landed here was $12 price of a German one $110.

I've been using mine for a couple of years now. I condition the grains with 2% by weight of water, applied with a sprayer.
Gap set at 0.2mm and get a very nice crush. Grain contents nicely smashed up and lots of whole husks that aren't chopped up.
Efficiency has been good at 90% mash efficiency.
Couple of other things, make sure you have the rollers running down check the polarity of your power supply. The bottom outflow fitting if it's getting grain between it and the sides then trim that bit back.
But recent attempt with the maltzilla after a 6 week brewing break whilst away on holiday it wouldn't work ie crush grain and the non driven roller appeared seized. I took it apart and had a look at the non driven crush wheel and both sealed bearings were full of crushed grain flour and seized, after a good clean I replaced them and it worked fine. But the bearings weren't as free running as they should be. Kegland suggested I got a couple of new bearings, I felt this was their responsibity.
Kegland felt this was the only time they'd heard of it. But if you own a maltzilla please unscrew it and have a look at the bearings to check for flour in them. Take pictures and post them here and to Kegland.
It certainly can contribute to crushing failures.

Latest posts

Back