Mango Ice Cream NEIPA Recipe - Thoughts?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KiaOraBrew

Reaction score
Hi all

New brewer here and keen to get stuck in. I've put together this recipe based on the infamous Avg. Perfect NEIPA recipe on Brewers Friend.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/719494/mango-ice-cream-neipa

I've decided to sub out the Flaked Oats with Golden Naked Oats. I've also added some rice hulls as I'll be brewing this on a Grainfather. Keep the recirc happy. The clincher is 300g of Lactose and priming sugar substituted for mango juice pre bottling (yes I'm bottling it!)

I want this to be smooth, silky, juicy and tropical. Only 1oz of bittering hops too to round off the flavour profile a bit more.

Is there anything in here that screams "WHOA STOP DON'T DO THAT?!" :D
If so please can you advise on what you'd change?

Are you planning on adjusting your water to the profile in the linked recipe?

Might be wrong (I haven't brewed a NEIPA) but I think people generally use a higher chloride to sulphate ratio than the sulphate heavy profiles in traditionally bitter IPAs.

Probably not hugely important but it's the only thing that caught my eye.

Honestly I'm probably not going to treat my water on this first brew. Its a science I haven't got my head around yet and I'd hate to get it wrong

I have a question about the Mango Juice, can I literally look at the sugar content of a filtered juice/puree and measure that against the batch priming sugar volume required for the brew? Would I need to account for the extra volume in the overall batch size? Or doesn't it matter as its added before bottling.

Honestly I'm probably not going to treat my water on this first brew. Its a science I haven't got my head around yet and I'd hate to get it wrong

Definitely don't worry about it. I don't think you can go far wrong, but it's far more effort than it's worth to think about on your first brew.

Also yes, I would just use the sugar content on the packet to use the same amount of sugar required for batch priming. I'd assume juice/puree sugars will be fructose and maybe glucose/sucrose if sweetened, all of which are similarly highly fermentable so I don't think any difference in co2 levels will be noticeable.

EDIT: I hadn't thought about volume, but it might be a factor. I just looked up Rubicon Mango juice, which has about 5g of sugars per 100 ml. So if you wanted 125g sugar to prime, that would be 2.5l of juice to batch prime. That extra volume would probably drop your abv by ~0.5%.

A concentrated puree would have less of an effect, or you could compromise by using a mixture of mango juice and table sugar, but if it was me, I would probably just go with juice and not worry too much about the small difference in vol and abv. These are little things that you can work on later once you have the basics down.

PS. Welcome to the forum & good luck on the brew!

Last edited:
Id 100% look inn water profile for a NEIPA or you'll not have that silky mouthfeel, I would also double the amount of lactose

Get a water report done by Murphys, their treatment recommendations are very simple to follow.

Latest posts

Back