Fruity/tropical IPA feedback (grainfather)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oracleoftruth

Reaction score
Hello all!

Have been doing more whirlpool additions recently but finding the flavour isnt as pronouncd as I thought it would be. I'm preparing to make this recipe: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/708098/tropical-ipa
But was hoping for some sage advice.
I have the ingredients as here (I have some extra herkules and some citra, saaz and hallertau in the freezer as well if I need) so it would be moving things around rather than adding extra of these.
Not used rice hulls before but after a slooooooow sparge last week and with the oats I wanted to be safe; not sure how much is needed.

Any feedback would be really welcome.

If it's a huge hop flavour and aroma you're after then you'll need to seriously increase your hopping rates. I know that's not the answer you wanted, but probably the one you expected.
@stigman brewed a fantastically hoppy NEIPA but if I remember it had a 500g dry hop!

If it's a huge hop flavour and aroma you're after then you'll need to seriously increase your hopping rates. I know that's not the answer you wanted, but probably the one you expected.
@stigman brewed a fantastically hoppy NEIPA but if I remember it had a 500g dry hop!
Pretty much, yeah. I could use herkules for bittering and move the mosaic to the whirlpool and see how much citra i have in the freezer...
This suggests the 200g I have should be enough for a pretty flavoursome beer but I know NEIPAs take it to another level.
With the citra I'd have 235g (not including herkules for bittering)

Last edited:
Regarding the rice hulls, I've found 200g in a 20L batch seems to keep things loose (I'm also a GF user), even when I had 25% rye malt in my saison.
Edit to add: IPA isn't really my specialty so I won't try to advise you much further on your recipe, but hopefully somebody will be able to help.

Last edited:
I don't think you need 15, 10 and 5 min additions.
Save some of those for dry hopping and also chuck in as much extra citra as you have with the dry hops
I've found that even a very big whirlpool addition doesn't have the same effect a decent dry hop

The best 'hop hit' results I've had so far is to dry hop directly in the keg and just leave them in.

Latest posts

Back