Mangrove m36 liberty bell reviews?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used M36 and I'd have no issues using it again. Although I use others in their range more, this is probably due to my preference for abbey,triples & wit beers atm.

As much as I love this yeast I have noticed subsequent brews fermented with slurry from a previous batch have seemed a wee bit off. The latest one was actually a gusher, that of course could well be something else altogether, but I'll be paying closer attention when re-using this strain, and it may be that I too will end up using fresh packs each time.

I used it for the first time earlier in the summer and some of my bottles ended up as gushers. Which could be something else, as you say, but seems a bit strange.

It also didn't clear that well, I used it in a very pale ale and you can see the cloudiness, I've made the same beer before with S-04 and it was crystal-clear. Tasted good though, did seem to bring out the hop flavours more than S-04.

Can't say I've had gushers / fermentation creep or clarity issues with Liberty Bell. For a while, it was almost my house yeast, used in everything from Dark Mild to English IPAs. I like it's mild esters and gorgeous smell when fermenting!

I made three beers with (when it was still called M79), and in all three cases I think I bottled too early after two weeks. They all ended up with too much carbonation, but not bottle bombs. Now, it could be (as Mangrove Jack's told me when I reported the problem) that my sachet was a bit too old (but I always keep them in the fridge), and that might be the cause. However, I almost exclusively use MJ yeasts, and I haven't had the same problem with their other yeasts, which I also tend to keep a while.

About @jjsh 's remark about the terrific smell: I can confirm that, however, I was disappointed after bottling. Seems your mileage may vary with this yeast.

I've used M36 and I'd have no issues using it again. Although I use others in their range more, this is probably due to my preference for abbey,triples & wit beers atm.

how vigorous is it. It’s Ilkley I am gonna split batch, half with this and half with US05. They will share the same fridge so i will be managing the fridge temps as opposed to the actual FVs. not sure how they compare in terms of raised fermenting temps but thinking of setting the fridge at 18c, so they won’t reach more than 20 or 21c.

how do they compare do you think?

I think I used to pitch it between 19 and 20. Its sometimes a bit slow to take off, but once it gets going its fairly vigorous. I really must use it again - the last brew I did with it was a WWII historic porter that was really nice. It also shines in golden ales.

It’s a session ipa,
2.5 crisp pale malt
1.5 crisp Maris otter
500g Carapils.
100g each of cascade, centinel, mostly late additions and hop stand and dry hopping with Amarillo.

am thinking mj yeast will help the juiciness?

Latest posts

Back