marrow wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyhibbett

Landlord.
Reaction score
I made some in 2010, as a way of disposing of some overgrown and insipid courgettes. A few bottles remain so I opened one. It is astounding stuff, considering it's humble origins. The flavour is outstanding. Highly recommended.

I find it hard to believe that anything good can come from courgettes... :sick:

My father in law still talks about how good the 10 year old marrow wine he found in his garage was though.

We always seem to have overgrown courgettes when we get back from a holiday and we never know what to do with them. What's your recipe? I'll have to give this a go even if it sits in the shed for 10 years ;)

It's the 'First steps' recipe, but with less sugar, to make a gallon of dry wine:
Grated flesh of large marrow + seeds
2 each of orange and lemon, sliced
30 g bruised ginger
Water, yeast, nutrient and pectolase
1 kilo sugar
Put marrow, fruit and ginger in bucket and pour on boiling water. When cool, add yeast etc., cover and leave for 5 days, stirring daily. Strain, add sugar and put in fermenting jar. When fermentation has stopped, siphon off from sediment, leave until clear, siphon again and leave in jar or bottles for at least 6 months, after which it will be ready to drink, but will be really good if left longer. The aroma and flavour is quite unique and possibly not to everyone's liking as it does not resemble any commercial white wine that I know of. However, if it doesn't appeal, it apparently is good for blending with other wine which which lacks body. It can of course be sweetened and there is a variant, using muscovado sugar to produce a 'rum' flavour, although I have not tried this.

Back