Mash tun conversion

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

needmorstuf

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a "Igloo Maxcold Island Breeze 62 Quart Rolling Cool Box 58L" I would like to try convert to a mash tun. It has a 1" diameter drain hold in the base toward the back.

My concern is that most conversions use the coolboxes designed to hold cold drinks, and I suspect they have a bigger hole suotable for a 3/4" fitting.

Has anyone successfully conveted one with such a small hole? it would take a 1/2" fitting as opposed to 3/4" used in most conversions.

And.. what do people think of this conversion kit? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-2-Compact-Ball-Valve-Kit-12-Bazook-Screen-Mash-Homebrew-Kettle-Hose-Barb/352136534383?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=621584273961&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

seems cheap and easy... it has a type of bazooka filter. I do see online people advocating the use of stainless braid water supply hoses with the inner pipe removed.

Last edited:
I bought mine converted already. But basically it looks like they just drilled a hole into the cool box and fitted the valve into that.

However you say the hole is 1 inch, but the fittings are 3/4. So the hole is too big, not too small? Or is there a typo somewhere?

1 inch hole refers to diameter.. 3/4" refers to fitting sizes. For instance a 1/2" fitting has a diameter of about 23mm.

My hold is 23mm and hence can accommodate a 1/2" fitting whereas yours is probably a 28mm hole and can accommodate a 3/4" fitting.

Now my head is spinning. No more imperial for me :)

Anyways, the hole in my tun is drilled to fit the valve, so you could try drilling it if it's too small?

aye could do.. does yours have a bazooka filter? or some other and how would you rate it?

aye could do.. does yours have a bazooka filter? or some other and how would you rate it?
I have a false bottom attached with a piece of hose. So there's a hose barb on both sides of the valve. It works fine, but I've also used it without a filter at all without any issues.

ah ok, I never even considered one of those I thought they operated the other way around.. with the tube below the screen. I guess with the pressure of liquid above and an outlet available gravity does the rest. From how they look though I would also guess that the yield is somewhat lower?

have you used one? and where do you get them from in the UK? if the price transposes 1:1 from dollars to gbp they will be expensive,.

I have a plain bog standard cheapy cool box. I cut it with a hole saw to fit a 15mm tank connector and then compression fitting valve on a stub piece to the connector. Never had an issue.
Tried a few different things and then got some braid and ripped the tube out, it works a treat!

good to know! the braid does seem a good solution. That bag method though looks to make cleanup a breeze. My end goal is a good yield with little effort... scooping 10kg of grain out with a jug is a pain. I am trying to find a bag in the uk of sufficient size for my big box and one that is strong enough to last. I will report back should I find one.

I was planning on BIAB if the braid was a failure but itworks good. I bought a metre and split it in two, I shouldn't have bothered, I'll probably get another metre and use the lot.

now i think on... if i had a smaller coolbox that I could easily pick up with 10kg of wet grain (13kg?) the braid would be cheap n easy. My coolbox is massive and awkward to pick up empty.. never mind full of wet grain. I am thinking the bag is going to be a good solution.

Picking it up to dump the grain? I scoop it with a 1.5 litres jug, it's quick and handy enough. I am keeping my eye out for a better shaped scoop though, something like a dog feed scoop I think.

i use a 1litre jug and dont find it anything like quick or handy.. scoop, walk to bin, empty.. 20 jugs later I'm done.

lifting a bag once and taking to the bin sounds much easier..

I put a bin bag in an old bucket beside the mash tun, scoop in to that and that's it. I'm doing 6kgish grain bills so not too bad.

Back