Mash tun size - 'nordic' thermo

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurch

Reaction score
So I'm planning on getting a shiny mash tun box for 10g brew length.
I was thinking a 50l would be the chap, but I'm also thinking of adding Herms and a false bottom with either a spinny-do sparge or one of those spray jobs (technical term doncha know) like I think Vossy and a few others have so I thought I might need a bit more room than a 50l?
What does the team think?
Plus I thought I might order another stock pot to act as HLT. I currently have a 70l with elements that I still haven't sorted electronics for, should be big enough for a boiler? So I was thinking 50l for an HLT.

I was using a 70L boiler for 50L batches and it was really pushing it :eek: and i had to upgrade to 100L for great comfort :cool: The thermos are great and like the stock pots, it doesn't cost a lot more to get the bigger one and you're ready for whatever you want to brew :thumb: That's all assuming that you have the room for all that bulky equipment :oops:

I have a 50L tun and have managed to get 18 gallon (86L) of 1.050 beer out of it . . . if you are talking only 45L a 50L thermobox should be more than adequate.

If you go for a 50L HLT you may find that you will need to top up to sparge . . . but you may not . . . I think you are 'on the edge' size wise for the HLT

Hmm. I had thought about getting a 100l and swapping over duty so that the 70l is my HLT and use the 100l as the boiler. Alternatively I could just get another 70l. That said, topping up is hardly a hardship with 90 minutes to wait.

Latest posts

Back