Mexican Cerveza with Mash

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motorhomebrew

AKA - RobsHomebrew
Reaction score
Hello chaps and chapets,

I have finally got my hands on a Mexican Cerveza kit. Iv been wanting to brew this beer ever since I started brewing and iv finally got my hands on this kit. So along with wanting to do this kit for a long time iv been itching to expand my horizon's and to dip my toe into AG brewing so I'm easing myself into it with a simple mash with this kit to add a little more flavour and body to this Cerveza.
I don't want to add too much to this beer as its intended to be a light refreshing pint so what am I going to be steeping?
1) Carapils
2) Flaked Maize
I'll be steeping 250g of both with half a teaspoon of Amylase at about 65c for 45 minutes then adding to the kit with a mix of 1kg light spray malt and dextrose. This should result in a 4.2% to 4.5% beer once conditioned. I'll also be switching the yeast out like I normally do but I wont be using Saflager S23 like I normally would I'm going with Brewpacs European Lager yeast. Iv never used it so I'm hoping for something good. I hope.

Is this the one I've read about, where people soak some maple chips in tequila and add that in too? The one that turns out like Desperados?

got one of these ready to go was thinking of dry hopping with 50g of cascade in secondary,
any thoughts

Is this the one I've read about, where people soak some maple chips in tequila and add that in too? The one that turns out like Desperados?

It is indeed. You don't need to do that though. Just adding tequila flavouring before bottling or kegging is just as effective without the extra faff.

got one of these ready to go was thinking of dry hopping with 50g of cascade in secondary,
any thoughts

Iv never used cascade so I couldn't say. Is cascade not used more for ales??? I dunno. I'm going to dry hop with Hallertau

Rob I've got this one in the FV at the moment, I fancied something light and fizzy after doing ales and stouts lately. I used 500g BE, 400g sugar, 80g honey with 30g Hallertau hops boiled for 20mins and tea and hop bag added to the FV, OG:1062. I pitched Wilko Gervin yeast trub from my previous brew and I'm going to give it 3 weeks to ferment. I've had to put on my heating belt on the timer this week to keep it at about 20c with the temperature dropping the way it is. I'll prime 500ml bottles with one teaspoon of sugar, I like my wannabe lager to be fizzy.

How did you boil your hops? Just in water with a little malt extract?

I just put them in a mesh bag with heavy stone and boil them in a couple of litres of water for 20 minutes and then add the hop bag to the FV and I use the boiling hop tea to rinse out the tin. It's nothing fancy I just keep it all very simple but it's worked well for me so far.

Latest posts

Back