Milestone Dark galleon.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once the foam head forms a quick peek and sniff won't hurt. Leave it alone as much as possible to keep bugs out. Don't worry about a hydrometer too much. The joy of homebrew is that petfectly enjoyable results are possible by educated guess work.

2 weeks - ignore the instuctions - 2 weeks. :cheers:

After 4 days warm coditioning and similar in the garage I've cracked one. Still a little immature but bags of flavour and a lovely colour. Must try and leave it alone long enough to mature.

Well just moved back to the UK and finally have made a bit of space in the new, much smaller house. At least we have a shed. I was in Wilko's in King's Lynn picking up a Wherry to make my first brew in a long, long time when I spotted a Milestone Dark Galleon on the bargain shelf. At £8.25 I had to buy it and will get it on today. Honestly it doesn't sound like my cup of tea but at that price I couldn't not buy it!

Any suggestions for dry hopping additions?

The Krausen on this after one day was a thing to behold. Octopi fingers of foam grappling for their freedom. Mimicking the clouds that yield their generous bounty to us all.

Then the tight foam collapsed and it was just big, with huge bubbles all over.

Hope this turns out OK - temps seem good - I had so many variations of how to do this one in my head that it turned out I added too much water and no extra malt.

What a twit. :confused:

I just bottled this and couldn't resist having a little sip of it before the final bottle. To me it tasted a little sour and wasnt that pleasant at all? Could it be infected with a nasty bacteria or was it just expecting it to be too sweet?

I just bottled this and couldn't resist having a little sip of it before the final bottle. To me it tasted a little sour and wasnt that pleasant at all? Could it be infected with a nasty bacteria or was it just expecting it to be too sweet?

I do not wish to worry you at all but my 1st ever brew which was a Milestone IPA has come out with a similar taste to what you said above. Mine is a yeasty bitter sour taste. I will grant that it was my 1st brew and I didn't use the best practises. But 2 months in the bottle and it has scarcely improved. I am hoping the colder weather will mellow it a bit

Fingers crossed for you that it is just a harsh green flavour which will mellow. You cannot really judge it too much until you have had some conditioning going on.

Yeah this is what i'm hoping. However I am not going to hang around and wait for a load of ruined beer without having a back up! So i am going to head on and brew up another batch of something else.

I do not wish to worry you at all but my 1st ever brew which was a Milestone IPA has come out with a similar taste to what you said above. Mine is a yeasty bitter sour taste. I will grant that it was my 1st brew and I didn't use the best practises. But 2 months in the bottle and it has scarcely improved. I am hoping the colder weather will mellow it a bit

Fingers crossed for you that it is just a harsh green flavour which will mellow. You cannot really judge it too much until you have had some conditioning going on.

Thanks very much for the advice, i'm going to brew a back up this week to have something else to look forward to just in case

Yeah this is what i'm hoping. However I am not going to hang around and wait for a load of ruined beer without having a back up! So i am going to head on and brew up another batch of something else.

Which is exactly what I did, got another one on to take my mind off it.

If it helps at all despite the slight twang some have been better actually and I do and can still drink it perfectly fine.. so it may mellow out.

Don't let me put you off though just drop another brew and give your fresh one a try in a few weeks to see how it is getting on.

57th brew Milestones Dark Galleon 2nd time with this kit 11/10/14. Pitched at 23 degrees, OG was 1044 and taste at brew is nice, dark malty with hints of coffee and bitterness

Mine is very drinkable and the head retention down the glass is some of the best I've ever seen in a home brewed beer - not that it stays int he glass for long. I just realised that I've only got about 8 bottles left so I meght have to get something on for between now and the Christmas brew (coming on well after 4 months not the bottle)

Tried this for the first time tonight. Had 3 weeks in FV then 2 in the barrel in the warm after priming. Been in the shed for a couple of days now and maybe not cold enough but it's decent. Very bitter and dark roasty malt taste. All in all good for £8.25!

Found 2 bottles of this lurking at the back from approx april...
Ooooh I thought, I'm in for a treat.
Slightly let down though by the bitterness, although to be fair I'm not a dark bitter/stout/porter drinker really. The extra few months in the bottle have produced a dark rich flavoursome decent pub beer with no hb twangs, but not my cup of tea, I mean beer. ;)
Does anyone know if woodefordes nog tastes similar? (Conditioning as we speak)

The Krausen on this after one day was a thing to behold. Octopi fingers of foam grappling for their freedom. Mimicking the clouds that yield their generous bounty to us all.

Then the tight foam collapsed and it was just big, with huge bubbles all over.

Hope this turns out OK - temps seem good - I had so many variations of how to do this one in my head that it turned out I added too much water and no extra malt.

What a twit. :confused:

This was going to be a Christmas brew, except it never really was. Not bad though, not bad at all, even brewed longer than intended.

This is a Muntons kit and probably has the same yeast as the rest of the Muntons kits, except that the Milestone kits seem to come with an 11g sachet, same as the Gervin yeast available from Wilko's.

Suggesting here that better results might be got from Wherrys by using two of the 6g sachets they come with, because this beer is dead clear, unlike the cloudy, if tasty Wherrys.

Ranting aside, I would definitely recommend this as a kit that is fine, "as is" - a good dark ale.

Latest posts

Back