Milk Stout Hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobWalker

Reaction score
I want to brew a milk stout with vanilla. I'm aiming for a malty beer that's literally as smooth and soft as vanilla ice cream.

Aside from what the style requires (70c mash, lactose) how could I go about achieving this?

Hops must be really clean or smooth. I was thinking maybe goldings as they have a really chilled out bitterness, and hop to about 20 IBUs. No aroma hops?

As for malts, roasted barley for the colour and lots of crystal malt for caramel flavour. Finish with a good dollop of vanilla. I'm aiming for below 4%, maybe 3.6% or something. I'm also thinking of using something to help the head and body extensively. out of wheat, maize, oats etc, what would be my best bet for a thick, clean mouthfeel?

Yeast, a low attenuator if possible, if not medium. S-04 probably. Considering buying some WLP002 for it though, as i'd be happy to reuse it - you're always gonna brew english ales.

Any ideas? :cheers:

for a stout a mini mash with oats is generally reckoned to be the way to go, personally i find wheat malt easier and nice and creamy

u may want to look at other malts for colours or cold steep them to minimise bitterness and coffee flavour (unless thats what ur after). goldings should work great im a big fan of fuggles but makes no real difference- in at first wort may help smooth out bitterness- oh and

be careful not to overcarb, can really ruin a stout, why they are rather good from pressure barrels

yeah i'll be barrelling. didn't think of first wort hopping, sounds good. could i just use the same amount as a 60 min addition and chuck the lot in? :thumb:

i thought about usign chocolate malt, i'm not completely sure though. I do want very little in the way of roasty flavour, just a deep dark colour.

The traditional English approach to getting colour without roast flavours is to use dark invert sugar and / or Brewer's Caramel colourant.

More modern (and purist AG) methods include cold steeping dark malts, and using de-husked roasted malts (called Carafa Special). Roasted wheat malt is also reputed to achieve this (wheat not having a husk to start with)

EDIT : if it's any help, here is a recipe for old fashioned Mackeson : http://barclayperkins.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... t.html?m=0

Latest posts

Back