Milk Stouts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon1964

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all
Got two brews, both kits in fermenters a courage directors, and a young's American IPA.
Quite fancy a milk stout, anyone got a recommendation, hoping for about 5% or higher one.
Cheers Jon

Do you have a favorite stout kit? It can be made into a milk stout by adding lactose.
I'm thinking about St Peters cream stout as a possible to modify using lactose as you suggest.??
How much lactose, and when would you add, at fermentation start, or when priming pb.
Cheers Jon

I'm thinking about St Peters cream stout as a possible to modify using lactose as you suggest.??
How much lactose, and when would you add, at fermentation start, or when priming pb.
Cheers Jon
I used 8 ozs in a 3 gallon batch. It was added to the last 10 minutes of the boil.

I found this when I was planning one:

"Rough guidance for 5 gallons:
0.25 lb lactose just takes the edge off dryness
0.5 lb lactose begins to taste slightly sweet and full
0.75 lb lactose is a good moderate amount to be obvious without overpowering
1 lb lactose is positively sweet and full
>1 lb lactose in 5 gallons tastes over the top syrupy
For milk stout, if not sure how much to use, start with 0.5-0.75 lb in the initial boil. Then on packaging day, give it a taste and if needed, add 0.25 lb at a time until it tastes right to you."

I can't remember where I nicked it from and didn't go ahead with the brew in the end but it seemed a useful start despite being in American.

Latest posts

Back