Mini keg party star

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flatline9

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm thinking about investing in a party star deluxe system for mini kegs.. I'm bored of bottling but don't brew large enough quantities or have enough space for cornies. My question is, can you use the party star tap to have a few pints of beer and then remove the tap and use it in a different keg? Or do you have to keep it in the same keg until you've drunk it all? It's fine to drink an entire keg in one sitting when friends are over, but if I'm just drinking by myself then I might want to swap over kegs and drink a different brew.

On a separate note, if anyone wants to get rid of a spare tap then I'd be happy to buy it off you!

Cheers

No, once the tap is in you need to keep it there until you've finished the keg, as you push in the centre part of the bung when you insert the tap.

I usually try and fill some kegs and bottles from each brew, so I can switch between drinking from the current keg or some bottles for variety.
That and I can only realistically fit one keg in the fridge, as it's used for other drinks too.

Cheers for the info. I've also read very variable info on how long the beer lasts once it's been started, from a couple of days to a couple of weeks. I suppose this depends on how it is stored and how good the seal is with the tap. What's your personal experience?

Cheers for the info. I've also read very variable info on how long the beer lasts once it's been started, from a couple of days to a couple of weeks. I suppose this depends on how it is stored and how good the seal is with the tap. What's your personal experience?

Using the CO2 bulbs with the tap, the beer is kept fresh. I find that I don't need the CO2 on all the time, so I usually give it a squirt of CO2 after each pour, or if I know I'll be having a few then at the end of the night.

The longest I've had one going before I drank it all so far was probably 3 or 4 weeks and it was fine.

The trick is to keep topping up with CO2 - a minikeg will easily last a good couple of weeks if you give it a quick blast of CO2 after drawing a pint off so you are always keeping the pressure topped up with CO2.

Using a bit of vaseline on the bung and on the plunger rod of the party star tap should ensure a good seal every time.

If you don't use the party star/CO2 and just vent and let air in with those standard air vent bungs then the beer needs to be drunk over a couple of nights really.

Hope this helps.

The trick is to keep topping up with CO2 - a minikeg will easily last a good couple of weeks if you give it a quick blast of CO2 after drawing a pint off so you are always keeping the pressure topped up with CO2.

Thanks again. Is there a way to to know how much CO2 to use after each pint? Or do you just twist for a second or two?

I have a brand new unused party star deluxe sourced from candirect in germany.
make me an offer and pay the actual postage cost ;)

however also scour ebay for a sub £50 deal on a 'party tap machine' or mini keg machine, i got a morphy richards version via ebay hence the party tap being redundant, they generally contain a hi quality party tap and co2 bulb adjustable regulator within a box that includes peltier chilling of the keg. retailing at circa £200 they appear on eay with little use for less than £50 in auctions. only downside is they have a significant footprint.

Back