"Mouthfeel"

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porter

Reaction score
I keep seeing the word crop up on here when discussing beer.I know it may seem obvious but by "mouthfeel" does it mean wether it feels creamy or dry or does it relate to the viscosity?
The reason i ask is,iv'e been looking at a v.good wow video on here and the poster added 1 tsp of glycerine to the wine.
Now i know beer is a different kettle of fish etc but has anyone ever added glycerine to their beer or is that nothing to do with "mouthfeel"?

I know that if you want to add more Body and Mouthfeel to beer you should try Maltodextrin... It comes in a power that doesn't ferment and isn't sweet. It's flavourless but adds body. :thumb:

porter said:
I keep seeing the word crop up on here when discussing beer.I know it may seem obvious but by "mouthfeel" does it mean wether it feels creamy or dry or does it relate to the viscosity?

It's the rich, creamyness that fills your mouth. I tried a Pale Ale the other night that had 20% oats in the grist and that was really full in the mouth, almost too sweet.

Generally speaking, a sweet beer will have more mouthfeel than a dry beer on account of the long chain (alpha amylase) unfermentable sugars extracted during the mash (that go to making it sweet). It will feel more viscous in the mouth.

It's quite a complex subject, but I think viscosity is probably the most significant aspect.

Some suggest that un-fermented sugars play quite a small part in mouthfeel and that it is proteins which are more significant, which is why unmelted grains add mouthfeel.

Dr Mike said:
It's quite a complex subject, but I think viscosity is probably the most significant aspect.

Some suggest that un-fermented sugars play quite a small part in mouthfeel and that it is proteins which are more significant, which is why unmelted grains add mouthfeel.
You're right it is complex.The more i think i'm learning about homebrewing,the more i realise there is to learn.

Even amongst professional brewers and brewing scientists, there appear to many areas subject to ongoing debate & conjecture.

Back