MP Scandals

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
where is the money going to come from to fix the problems as T.May said there is no magic money tree

how Labour are going to fix this mess as

It was said before the latest one Windfall taxes are a one off you cannot keep hitting big companies annually.

Taxing the rich classic Labour remember what a state the country was in when they got booted out last time and the note they left saying there is no money left, taxing the rich didn't work last time why do you assume it will this?

Last edited:
You only answered one part of my post now try answering the other two.
How about:

“By not lying, not cheating, not changing the laws so that friends will not be accused of breaking them and not breaking laws that they make.”

That would be a start; and a vast improvement on the current lot!
:hat:

I edited my earlier post but you had already quoted it this is the edited version.

where is the money going to come from to fix the problems as T.May said there is no magic money tree

how Labour are going to fix this mess as

It was said before the latest one Windfall taxes are a one off you cannot keep hitting big companies annually.

Taxing the rich classic Labour remember what a state the country was in when they got booted out last time and the note they left saying there is no money left, taxing the rich didn't work last time why do you assume it will this?

They were not booted out the Tories had to have a coalition with the yellow Tories to stay in power. The crisis wasn’t caused by Labour but by the US and the global market ie investment in US banks. We’ve had 12 years of Tory misrule and it’s got to end soon.
They were not booted out the Tories had to have a coalition with the yellow Tories to stay in power. The crisis wasn’t caused by Labour but by the US and the global market ie investment in US banks. We’ve had 12 years of Tory misrule and it’s got to end soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I give up on this thread again, but i will say first job i had at 15 1968 apprentice painter and decorater, got my first wage £3-12-6d a bloke approched me asking for 2 shillings union fees, me i dont want to be in a union him it's a closed shop no fee no job me see you around, Monday afternoon i was working at asda £18 a week never looked back since

I give up on this thread again, but i will say first job i had at 15 1968 apprentice painter and decorater, got my first wage £3-12-6d a bloke approched me asking for 2 shillings union fees, me i dont want to be in a union him it's a closed shop no fee no job me see you around, Monday afternoon i was working at asda £18 a week never looked back since
That's £350 in today's money. A fair whack for a nipper.

We’ve had 12 years of Tory misrule and it’s got to end soon.
I couldn't agree more but some here would have us believe everything was hunky dory last time labour were in and it wasn't.

I don't see how they are going to fix the mess this lot are about to leave taxing the rich and windfall taxes are not going to do it.

Here, the richer you are, the less you pay in taxes, percentage-wise.
Robert Reich (Yale and Dartmouth educated, advisor to some US presidents) has videos up and down the internet pointing out the direct the line between the US being in the red (rich under taxed) and getting into the black (rich are taxed equitably).
Ask any rich corporation or person (the groups the US government protects as if their lives depended on it), and they'll say otherwise. They always threaten "to take their ball and go home."
When times are tough, watch how well the rich do.

Are, those were the days! Plenty of work available and at a decent wage.

Let’s have a quick look at ASDA.

The company was founded in 1949 when the Asquith family merged their retail business with the Associated Dairies company of Yorkshire.

… and then …

It was listed on the London Stock Exchange until 1999 when it was acquired by Walmart.

Now, most of ASDA wages are below the National Average!
:(

Ref:
https://uk.indeed.com/cmp/Asda/salaries/Grocery-Associate

All I know is that after years of Tory rule in the UK:
  • Food Banks have more than doubled!
  • High Street Banks have halved.
  • Protests against the Government and Strikes have been made either illegal or more difficult.
  • The NHS, Ambulance, Police, Fire and other Public Services have all been decimated.
  • The cost of living and energy is now so high that people who thought they were well off now have to rely on hand-outs.
  • The Government lie, cheat, treat the Electorate like idiots and fail to keep their promises. (If they get caught they either apologise [but only if they have to], blame Covid or something else.)
  • During the course of this Government, the rich have been better treated than the poor.

Jobs were plentiful at the time and averaged over 72% until The Bitch took over in 1979 and the figure dropped to 64.9% in about 4 years.

Then came the period where we were told there was no such thing as “society”, the “I’m all right Jack!” syndrome became almost a UK motto, “Zero Hours Contracts” and “The Gig Economy” appeared!

Sadly, the last paragraph is all demonstrated by the quote above!
:hat:

Ref:
https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/nati...yment1861to2018#trends-of-the-employment-rate
You could be pointing the finger at either party with the above points. Things change and one can't stop change no matter who is in power. Jobs went overseas where the cheap labour was, not just in the UK but other countries to. There was lots of manufacturing here but Australia has the good fortune to be prime producers of food and also mining.

I don't think Burnham is going to be a saviour, he could well get labour into power but what does he really stand for? And would the party really vote for him in a leadership challenge?

Since when has a “Windfall Tax” been an “annual event”?

I just love the way in which you follow the Tory line whenever anyone suggests taxing the rich!

“Remember the last time you tried it? It didn’t work then!” This is usually the first squeal, but closely followed by “It won’t work ‘cos we’ll all run away and live somewhere else!”

They conveniently suggest that somehow it would be wrong if, by leaving the UK, they suffered any curtailment of such things as voting rights, business interests, property, pensions etc etc.

Why? Well, they just don’t want to fund public services, the poor or the disadvantaged and thereby lose even a small percentage of what they have!

Here’s a take on the rich in the UK:

The revelation that the UK is
now officially home to more
billionaires per head of population
than any other country in the
entire world is a badge of shame.
”​

That was in 2014 and as far as I am aware, it hasn’t changed since then!

Ref:
https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/john-wight/the-sunday-times-rich-list-badge-of-shame_b_5308925.html

Latest posts

Back