Munich Malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tombo

Reaction score
I am thinking of doing SMaSH tomorrow with Munich malt. It’s the first time I’ve used Munich @ 100% of the grist. I have the following hops, what would anyone recommend to be a good pairing with Munich please? I was thinking Cascade but open to suggestions from the list below? Thank you

Admiral
Cascade
Endeavor
GP75
Jester
Northern Brewer
Phoenix
Pilgrim
Progress
Saaz
Sovereign
Sussex

Is the enzymatic power of the munich malt you are using high enough to use on its own?

If you have lager yeast (or a very clean ale yeast,) I'd use the Northern Brewer or Saaz for a Märzen. Maybe both, but then not a SMASH.
I have CN-36, seems to be quite a nuetral yeast when I used it in the past?

I agree with Saaz.

If you want to be experimental and push things a bit you could however try something different and do a long boil, say 2.5hrs, to develop some Melanoiden character and then used the Phoenix and see how the Chocolate and Molasses notes interact with the maltiness of the Munich.

Is the enzymatic power of the munich malt you are using high enough to use on its own?

It needs a minimum DP of 30 to convert and Munich has a DP between 35-40 so it should be ok but I'm more than happy to listen to advice, I'm here to learn.

I made one with citra a while back, it was delicious. Like lemon pie.

I'd go with some saaz and cascade not a smash.

It needs a minimum DP of 30 to convert and Munich has a DP between 35-40 so it should be ok but I'm more than happy to listen to advice, I'm here to learn.
The reason i asked is my Munich is ok but I have seen some that are low on DP, didn,t know which you had.
I would use Saaz or Northern Brewer or a mix like a German Marzen Oktoberfest beers. I do quite few but never really to type just of the ilk. Mine usually are 1/3rd of Munich, Vienna and Pale Ale Malt but as I said not true to type

I am thinking of doing SMaSH tomorrow with Munich malt. It’s the first time I’ve used Munich @ 100% of the grist. I have the following hops, what would anyone recommend to be a good pairing with Munich please? I was thinking Cascade but open to suggestions from the list below? Thank you

Admiral
Cascade
Endeavor
GP75
Jester
Northern Brewer
Phoenix
Pilgrim
Progress
Saaz
Sovereign
Sussex
Which of these hops is your favorite?

Edit.
Sorry. That was a stupid question if it's a SMaSH, but the basic parameters would be welcome.
I only wanted to do a SMaSH because I've never used Munich at 100% or any of those hops before so I wanted to be able to see (taste) what each brings to the table without being masked by other malts or hops. Like I said earlier though, I am fully open to suggestions.

Last edited:
Interesting idea, it will have a lot of body. Highest I've gone is 30% Munich in a wheat beer and that was one of my best. Had a taste of some Munich recently while I did a stock take and it was very tasty

Latest posts

Back