muntons connoisseurs pilsner

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wallymce

Reaction score
Ok so I bought this brew kit the other day and got no instructions, I just done the normal thing and added 1kg of sugar and d syrup and the water, am I right or what did I do wrong?

How much syrup? Hope not 1 kg? LOL!!! Some light spray malt for future reference though bud. 500g will do (enhances body and flavour ;) ). Sugar, well that depends on how alcoholic you want it ^^ Syrup is a new one on my for lager though. Muntons are ok but there are better brands out there if considering a different choice next time ;)

How much syrup? Hope not 1 kg? LOL!!! Some light spray malt for future reference though bud. 500g will do (enhances body and flavour ;) ). Sugar, well that depends on how alcoholic you want it ^^ Syrup is a new one on my for lager though. Muntons are ok but there are better brands out there if considering a different choice next time ;)

What's the better brands?

What's the better brands?
There's good kits out there and not so good kits. As is usual in most things you gets what you pay for, so don't expect the same from a 1.5kg one can plus a kilo of dextrose, compared to a premium kit costing £25 plus, although you can get better for your money by shopping around. Next Muntons make the majority of beer kits produced in the UK, and they are probably as good as the others, by the price point. But from my perspective the few Muntons kits I did were a bit twangy so I avoided them. All that said at the end of the day its down personal choice. You have only got to look at the reviews to see how some think one kit is brilliant, whereas others think its rubbish. So you wont really know what is good or bad for you that until you have done a few.

Mostly lager type beers and live the german stuff oktoberfest kolsch ect
Sounds like you need to be hitting the all grain road friend. You are not going to get that kind of quality from kits - sorry but having tried quite alot of them, nope. You could go the partial route, which I've not yet tampered with, but as the previous posts say, you get what you pay for ;)

Mostly lager type beers and live the german stuff oktoberfest kolsch ect
There are a few kit lager reviews in here.
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/beer-kit-reviews-a-z.77650/#post-853065When I did kits I usually stayed with Coopers and was happy with what I bought, but I used to add extras. Although I am normally not a lager drinker their Euro lager was OK, but ideally you need to leave it 3 months to hit its best.
There are other lager kits e.g Festival Pilsner which is a premium kit but I have no experience of that .
Finally Mangrove Jacks kits seem to be well thought of.

Last edited:
Yeah I've just started hombrewing so hopefully at some point I'll make the jump to ag thinking if coopers European lager festival ones a few mangrove jacks I've seen the craft range and even looked at muntons gold

Latest posts

Back