My American IPA recipe...any good?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilByford

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I usually like to brew tried and tested recipes, cuts out the uncertainties I find. However, I find myself left with some ingredients that I want to use up. I know you guys are much more experienced than me, so hoping you might be able to steer me in the right direction.

I have used beer smith to create an American IPA, using all Maris Otter instead of 2 row, hence 'toasty ipa'. I'm looking for a strong, but not face smacking bitterness and a fairly strong hop forward citrus, floral, resin aroma and taste. I want it to have a clean yeast profile and fairly dry on the finish. Handy because I have some Safale US-05 left. I do however have some Safale 04 as well so could swap for that if suggested? Most importantly I'm aiming for 6-6.5%!

Here is the link to the recipe on beer smith....

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/ ... toasty-ipa

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone

Looks OK to me, although I find the imperial units hard to get my head around
I'd definitely use the US-05, much as it can be a bit of a pain to clear it's the yeast of choice for hoppy beers

I would up the hop amounts. The ipa I make has 40g at 15, 10, 5, f/o and dry hop.

Thanks very much for you help guys.

Dave, think I will stick to Safale US-05 then. Might have to get another pack though, mr malty reckons I will need 253 B yeast cells which is more than one 11.5gm packet. Especially when mine is only 77% viable now.

Danb, what hops do you use? That must be one hoppy beer. Would you recommend a f/o addition of both my hops? (Cascade and galaxy)

Thanks again, Phil

I use 20g magnum at fwh then 20g of cascade and 20g of willamette from 15min through to dry hopping. Its perfect and much better than punk ipa.
Planning an apa with magnum then cascade, willamette and celeia for the additions.

Latest posts

Back