My first few brews...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlienMarky

Reaction score
Thought I should probably do a proper post after my intro, so here goes...

This all started off because my parents have an apple tree at the end of their allotment that's been there for quite a long time ("Laxton's Superb" if anyone is interested!). They had frozen as much as possible from the 2017 crop but still had a lot of windfalls, so I took a few boxes worth and had a pop at making scrumpy; I'd already made enough chutney and apple jelly to fuel a small Eastern-European country by this point, so fancied a change. I made a 1G DJ's worth from 6kg apples pressed which I left to it's own devices and the resultant drink was very, very nice, considering I didn't add anything to it! Still have three bottles left I'm trying very hard not to drink to let it age a bit....

Still had a half box of apples left which wasn't quite enough for another whole demijohn of scrumpy, so tried an apple wine with this recipe;

Apple Wine

2.5kg apples, chopped
3tsp ground cinnamon
3 normal tea bags
1.5kg white sugar

Cooked all the above with 2l water, then let it cool overnight - OG was about 1.084. Strained into a DJ, topped up to 1 gal and then pitched yeast (Wilko gervin wine yeast). Racked it after a couple of weeks off of the lees and then stabilised, left a few more days and bottled at 0.992.

then my dad dropped off another three DJs... and some apples and blackberries.... Soo....!

Blackberry & Apple Wine

1.3kg blackberries
1kg apples
1.5kg sugar
“wilko” all-in-one yeast compound

Cooked fruit with about 1.5 ltr water for 30 mins, added sugar and waited for it to dissolve. Left overnight to cool and then chucked into my 25l FV, topping up to 1G, OG was 1.084. Strained into a DJ and pitched the same yeast as above. Currently been racked twice and is sat at 0.990, waiting to clear.

Then I went freezer-diving at the folks house and found some red gooseberries, so thought I'd give it a go!

Gooseberry wine:

1.4kg red gooseberries
1.2kg granulated white sugar
“wilko” all-in-one yeast compound

Chucked the fruit in a bag (used the one from my press) and mashed it up a bit with a potato masher in the FV. Boiled 2l water and dissolved the sugar in it, then poured it over the fruit. Topped it up to 1g and then left it overnight in case it was still a bit warm. Took the OG (1.084) and added the yeast. Left it for a week before removing the bag, then another five days before straining it to a DJ (my cat decided the lid was an awesome place to sleep and broke it a bit, so was worried that fruit flies might get in and ruin it which is why I didn't leave it longer). Currently sat gently bubbling away at 1.000, so expect it to finish fairly soon...

And that's where I'm at now! Currently hunting through the forum for new recipes; have 1/2kg ginger in our freezer so that might factor in....

Last edited:
That's a typical "How I started!" explanation and I'll bet you have to fight your Dad off the finished product!

Just one recipe made my mouth pucker up at the thought and that was the Gooseberry Wine; I am frequently wrong, but it seems to be a bit short on sugar.

To use up the product of his allotment, a Glaswegian mate brewed a load of Rhubarb Wine back in 2016. He got the recipe off the internet and halfway through the preparation he turned to his wife and declared "There's much too much sugar in this recipe." and reduced it by a half; against her advice!

According to his wife "It made the cheeks of my backside pucker never mind my mouth." and true to her calling of "Loving and Caring Wife" she made her husband drink every drop of it before she allowed him to share her Tesco Merlot!

Enjoy.:gulp:

Funnily enough I did think the goosegog might be a bit short, but when i tried a bit when I racked it to the DJ it was surprisingly nice, like a crisp, dry white! I think next time I'll add a bit more sugar, and may backsweeten it a little before bottling this round.

Dad has definitely put some advance orders in...!

Latest posts

Back