My first go at AG tonight.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwissBrew

Reaction score
Having my first go at AG tonight doing this:

3800g Maris Otter
200g cara malt
65g Citra/crystal
Goal of 5 gallon-ish

Will keep you posted when the chaos breaks out :)

Drinking coopers stout kit with it. Really good!

20161229_205559.jpg

3800g Maris Otter
200g cara malt
65g Citra/crystal
Goal of 5 gallon-ish

Are you using Brewers Friend Swiss? Great bit of software, now I understand efficiency:wha:. Sounds like an APA from your grain & hop bill. :cheers:

Are you using Brewers Friend Swiss? Great bit of software, now I understand efficiency:wha:. Sounds like an APA from your grain & hop bill. :cheers:

Yeah used brewers friend to calculate water temp. I'm not too bothered about calculating efficiency. I want to see how my gut feel works. But if the beer is weak i will certainly calculate efficiency 😀

Great Job Swiss

did you hit your target Gravity? (not to worry if you didn't )

Thanks! I didn't really have any targets, just anted the process to work. But got a gravity of 1.053 which is spot on for me so I'm very happy.
Just not too happy amount wise. Wanted to get 20l and i think after I've gone in the secondary FV it will be more like 15l. Can't have it all i guess. :hmm:

Thanks! I didn't really have any targets, just anted the process to work. But got a gravity of 1.053 which is spot on for me so I'm very happy.
Just not too happy amount wise. Wanted to get 20l and i think after I've gone in the secondary FV it will be more like 15l. Can't have it all i guess. :hmm:

Ah, the dichotomy. Do you add 5L of water and 500g of Brew Enhancer to get 20L? I would, but I would not hold my approach out as being "purist".

3800g Maris Otter
200g cara malt
65g Citra/crystal
Goal of 5 gallon-ish

Good luck with your first AG.🍺

Ah, the dichotomy. Do you add 5L of water and 500g of Brew Enhancer to get 20L? I would, but I would not hold my approach out as being "purist".

I won't 😀 just because it's my first AG which shall be all pure without any fixes. But next time...hmm we shall see.

Congratulations on your first AG. Make sure you keep good notes on what you did, it may well turn into a cracking brew that you want to repeat.

Nice one - congratulations.

Looking at your kit, it looks a bit small for 23L brews? Looks more like my BIAB hob setup that I use for 13L brews. Nothing wrong with doing smaller volume brews, wet grain for 23L is a lot of wet grain to lift out on a hob.

Nice one - congratulations.

Looking at your kit, it looks a bit small for 23L brews? Looks more like my BIAB hob setup that I use for 13L brews. Nothing wrong with doing smaller volume brews, wet grain for 23L is a lot of wet grain to lift out on a hob.

Well the boiler takes 29L but i can only really fit in 25ish to allow a good rolling boil. I think my volumes were a bit off too as i was worried the grain volume would make it overflow but it was actually no problem to stir in. However you are right nothing wrong with lower volume brews.

It's bubbling away nicely now so very happy :)

Well done. If you like you can do a concentrated boil and dilute it in the FV. Its how I do full 23L brews with a 18.5L pot

Would I be right in thinking you just use straight pre boiled tap water cooled down to fermentation tempertature?

Would I be right in thinking you just use straight pre boiled tap water cooled down to fermentation tempertature?

You mean the topping off/dilution water? If you do, then no. I'm too lazy to bother pre-boiling it and just take it straight from my tap and pour it into the FV with the wort. Even if I've stripped out the alkalinity from my mash and sparge water I dont bother doing it with the dilution water and have never had a problem. I dont even bother sanitising the jug I collect the water from the tap in

Back