My first Lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernaaard

Reaction score
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a "failsafe" 1 can recipe for lager to be ready for next spring? Heading you Wilko this weekend for the can so any advice welcome :D

Coopers Euro Lager with additional yeast assuming you're able to control the fermentation temp

Was going to go for a coopers or wilko kit and do the first two weeks inside at about 17 degrees. Then move outside for the following 2 weeks. Then bottle and leave until spring.

Alright Bernaaard - your fermenting temps sounds more like steam beer territory @jceg316 reported that S23 performs well in that region

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=66306

The Euro lager comes with a real lager yeast so I would suspect it would throw up some off flavours (for a lager) have you thought about getting a garden trub and making a bath popping in your fermenter and filling with frozen water bottles to drop to about 15C? I suppose it all depends on what yeast you're using but technically something fermented at 17C isn't going to be lager - although I'm sure Brulosphy did an exbeeriment fermenting higher and said there was no discernable off flavours.

For those temps I'd be tempted to do the Canadian Blonde as that came out the most like a lager and your cold conditioning outside after would suit it well. Have to say my favourite Coopers is the Australian Pale which comes with a lager/ale yeast mix so that might also be closer to what you were intending.

Whatever dude enjoy and good luck - apologies if I have over complicated with my babble :)

Last edited:
Coopers Lager, European Lager, Canadian Blonde or Cerveza would all fit the bill. At those temps you could swap the yeast for Saflager W-34/70, which would ferment clean.

Coopers Australian Lager is one can and I think would cope at 17, probably best at 21 though, should work for you! Or build a fermentation fridge, doesn't cost as much as you think and is easy to do, then you have the ultimate in temp control for endless litres of proper lager with proper Lager yeast :)

I keep hearing suggestions to use Coopers as the best lager and perhaps the European lager as it is a true lager yeast so I reckon I will go with that if Wilko has it. Gonna get a second FV as well so I can transfer it to that after 2 weeks and leave in the garage to lager for another 2 weeks. Then it will be bottled for about 5 months. It is pretty cold now so I hope nature will help me out. Thinking of 1kg LSM and a jar of golden syrup as the fermentable and brew short to 21l for a bit of body.

For my first lager I've bottled a batch of Coopers European Lager and have them stored in my garage.
I substituted the kit yeast with a salfager lager yeast and it performed ok in my garage at about 14C. The kit instructions led me to believe they supplied an ale yeast due to the recommended fermenting temperatures. I tried the sample jar when checking my SG and it tasted ok.

Trying to keep my hands off it for another 3 months.....although I might try a bottle at xmas.

Not going to kid myself that all the bottles will make it to next Spring but hopefully it will mean I have a bit of a stock, cold and ready for some post gardening refreshment

Coopers euro larger is good. Made it loads of times and never worried about temp when brewing it

Latest posts

Back