My First Orange WoW & Tomato Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kempy

Reaction score
So I decided to make my first WoW (Orange & Grape juice), Also The Tomato Wine ( :sick: :sick: ) challenge as I had some Tomato's free to use.
Here is my WoW & Tomato after its ready to leave to do its thing, I'll update with pics on how it goes for first attempt.

WP_000979.jpg

put some hot chilies in the tomato wine and make it a bloody mary wine

Update after 24 hour, I'll update more in a few days see how it looks.

Seem as the Tomato Wine Experiment as im doing I decided to update a pictures on it after 24hr and to me it looks pretty dam good at the start.
The orange & Grape is doing its bit with the "Lava lamp" as I thinks that what its called but looks alright, I'll leave them both till the end.

This is the Orange & Grape
WP_001000.jpg

This is the Tomato
WP_000996.jpg

Tomato wine is the wine of the Devil. :evil: :evil:

I bet you end up with 6.66 bottles of the bloody stuff. :lol: :lol:

Albeit 666ml bottles :lol: :lol:

How are people making this Tomato wine, just using cartons of tomato juice? I'm wondering if it might be better to make a tomato sauce. Use fresh tomato, deseed and dry fry in a non-stick pan to bring out the natural sugars.

As I type this I'm begining to think a meat free bolognese might be an idea. Mostly tomato with some carrot and onion, As long as it's cooked enough it'll break down well. There are natural sugars in tomato, carrot and onion, I'm pondering now on whether to add any or parsley. I think I'd have to if I was going to call it a bolognese. I always add white wine to a bolognese sauce anyway so WGJ still fits.

Sold. I'm doing it. Will add pics and a report once I do it.

Yes it will be loaded with natural sugars that will ferment into alcohol but it will be full of flavours and aromas which will make it taste like *****.

The consensus of the forum is that it is ***** and well respected old hands who have made it say its *****................

I think there is a theme in there somewhere.......

but hey you obviously know best good luck with that one. :sick: :sick:

P_H_I_L_L said:
As I type this I'm begining to think a meat free bolognese might be an idea. Mostly tomato with some carrot and onion, As long as it's cooked enough it'll break down well. There are natural sugars in tomato, carrot and onion, I'm pondering now on whether to add any or parsley. I think I'd have to if I was going to call it a bolognese. I always add white wine to a bolognese sauce anyway so WGJ still fits.

Sold. I'm doing it. Will add pics and a report once I do it.

A waste of good tomatoes IMHO. Way better to add 500g of mince and make a proper bolognaise. Then open a decent bottle of red wine to go with it. Ask Moley about Tomato wine. :grin:

Tim_Crowhurst said:
What was it about the taste that you didn't like though?

(It's like getting the truth out of a politician!)
The taste wasn't right, bit like swigging on tcp and trying to swallow but your brain won't allow because it's not good.

BB

It would be interesting to brew the tomato wine with salsa ingredients. Tomatoes, cut jalapenos, pressed lime juice, lemon peel, sliced bell peppers, black pepper and basil. Not sure about the onions tho :sick:

And then just hope for the best :thumb:

Rukula said:
It would be interesting to brew the tomato wine with salsa ingredients. Tomatoes, cut jalapenos, pressed lime juice, lemon peel, sliced bell peppers, black pepper and basil. Not sure about the onions tho :sick:

Why? what tastes good as a food tastes totally different once it has been fermented, for a start all the sugar has been removed which counterbalances the other flavours.

graysalchemy said:
Rukula said:

Why? what tastes good as a food tastes totally different once it has been fermented, for a start all the sugar has been removed which counterbalances the other flavours.

Hehe, note "It would be interesting" :lol:
I would not put this to ferment, while hoping for the most amazing brew in history of mankind.

Ok so its been few weeks now since i said anything and I have a picture of the Orange WOW (first attempt) and its this is its second Racking. (I used coffee filters as can not afford the fancy stuff but does the job )
WP_001106.jpg

The Tomato I am not putting a picture on until its done actually fermenting as its still going!! also its not a pretty sight of it but yet it smell strong from the airlock.
I will put a picture of the tomato one after its first rack.

Looks good so far! Nice and clear.

Personally, I don't filter my wines anymore, too much hassle and takes far too long. Don't even bother with coffee filter papers either and mine turn out fine.

Would love to know the results of the tomato wine though.

Latest posts

Back