My First Pint of Home Brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slate Miner

Reaction score
Well as it was Valentine's Day I decided this was the ideal time to crack open and sample my first pint of home brew. :) and they say romance is dead. ;)

Like a lot of other newcomers to brewing at home, I started with Woodforde's Wherry. Thirteen days in the FV, placed next to a radiator in the kitchen, the temperature waivered between 16-18c, however it appeared to ferment out ok. Bottled and placed in a warm room for 7 days before transfering to the garage. Two and half weeks are bottling, and I can genuinely say that the result exceeded my expectation by some distance, I'm very pleased with the end product, it really is a good honest ale. and all for less than 60 pence a pint! Mrs slate Miner was also suitably impressed and said it was as good as many of the bottled ales you can buy. Praise indeed! :cheers:

If I was being a bit picky I'd say that it was a little 'thin' just lacked a bit of body, however this may well improve whilst it's in the bottle, unfortunately I didn't take the original SG so I don't know the ABV, but I'd guess at around 4% even though it says 4.5% on the packaging. So will I have the patience to let my brew improve with age? I can see myself getting through this batch a fairly quick time. :drink:

Anyway thanks to all those who answered my stupid newbie questions :lol: and all the great advice that can be found by just looking around the forum or putting in a simple word search. :thumb:

So what next? Well the second brew (St.Peter's Golden Ale) has already been bottled and I have a sample 6 bottle kits of Rioja & Sav Blanc in the demi-johns bubbling away nicely. Just kits for the time being, but it looks as if I've been bitten by the brewing bug. :D

Ive been biten along time ago and im brewing e/o weekend be it wine or beer always got something fermenting or aging.

Back