My First Wine Books

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatDad

'Semper in excretum sum sed alta variat'
Reaction score
When I started making wine in July I bought a couple of books and as I love traditional recipes I bought a couple of stonking old books mentioned by a few people around the internet.

While they may not be the most up to date they are fun to read and give some interesting info. Definitely bathroom reading if ever I saw it.

The first was a 1976 edition of “First steps in winemaking” by CJJ Berry.

I got this from Ebay and it cost me around three times its original 1976 sale price of 75p.

Lots of great info and some fun old photographs that really show the age of this book.

One interesting point I found mentioned was the use of Asbestos Pulp for clearing wine! But the author suggests not using it as it may have detrimental health effects. Thanks for the tip mate!!! What next - plutonium as a yeast nutrient???

It has some nice wine recipes set out into months of the year using various fruits and vegetables in season at that time of year. Clearly designed for lives pre-dating 21st Century hypermarkets and Freezers in every home.

There are also some amusing adverts at the back of the book (well the least third of the book actually) of old 1970’s wine clubs, suppliers and publications.

The second was “Amateur Winemaker Recipes” Edited by CJJ Berry

No date on this one but it’s the second edition and I’m guessing early to mid-eighties but that’s just a guess. Another £2 bargain on Ebay.

All the recipes you would ever want for various wines using anything and everything that might grow in a garden, allotment, hedgerow or anywhere really!

Two cracking books that are fun to read, old fashioned by still have some value.

100_0625-370.jpg

Thanks for that. I remember that first book, I think there was a copy in the house when I was growing up.

Might find myself a copy.

One interesting point I found mentioned was the use of Asbestos Pulp for clearing wine! But the author suggests not using it as it may have detrimental health effects. [I said:
Thanks for the tip mate!!![/I] What next - plutonium as a yeast nutrient???

icon_lol.gif
I think we had that book at home too. Dad probably paid 25p for it.

Although I'd imagine a white wine cleared with asbestos would compliment a fish dish.
If the fish was caught next to Sellafield nuclear power station that is.

Latest posts

Back