Myhermes follow up.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I thought I'd better follow up on an earlier post during lockdown when poor delivery companies were discussed. I issued a court moneyclaimonline against Hermes for the 3 maks that went missing. and within a week the masks appeared at the delivery address in Hoo Kent. 3 months after sending. Hermes missed their mediation appointment but rang me and the issue was resolved without going to a hearing. I would have liked to have known what a judge thinks about their "postable service" which has no compensation, so items can go missing and the customer can't do a blind thing about it. I personnaly would not select the postable service from now on.
In this case I was convinced someone had stolen the masks because of the shape and feel of them within the jiffy bag, this was when the 3m P3 masks were fetching £27 each on ebay at the height of the pandemic. I was wrong about the theft, but heaven knows where they'd been for 3 months.
So next up a battle with Seat about a failed turbo on a Leon (63) 1.6 diesel (vw) after 56,000 miles. £1200 just for the reconditioned part, plus £100's more for 8 hours labour.
If anyone has had a similar failure please let me know. There was a back order from Spain for these turbos so I suspect a common fault.
Why is nothing ever easy.

Hermes are well known for being one of the worst couriers out there so no surprise. If I hear something I've ordered is coming from Hermes I say a little prayer to the parcel gods. That said I sent stuff I've sold on eBay with them too as they're cheap (probably for a reason) but so far been lucky I guess as nothing has gone missing.

Sorry to hear about the turbo, it's bad luck at such a low mileage but I very much doubt you'd get any recompense from Seat as it's a 7 year old car and I'm guessing no warranty. Problem is low mileages and short trips can be worse for diesels / turbos than clocking up several hundred thousand miles on the motorway. Try an independent as they may be able to offer a better deal and 8 hours labour sounds excessive just to change a turbo. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Hi Graz,
I sell quite a bit of stuff on ebay and now select a courier through ebays packlink service depending on the level of importance. I still use hermes occasionally because our local lass is spot on and living a way from a P.O it's convenient. It's a shame she should suffer because of the incompetence of others.
Before the turbo was diagnosed I checked out the egr and that took me 5 hours to remove and refit, even with a pit. they are a complete pig. Being a retired mechanical engineer I would have loved to do the turbo, but because this car was fairly new when my daughter bought it I decided to let the dealer sell us a service plan. I fear this is where the problem lies as I don't trust dealers to change the oil and filters thus poor oil at the turbo shaft causes premature failure.
We had no choice in the end but to have the dealer do the job because Seat won't entertain any financial support if you have the work carried out elsewhere. We got 30% off but it was still in excess of £1500. I've filed a case on the grounds of "durability" consumer rights current buzzword, but I fear this is one I will lose. It should however cause Seat some invconvenience. What is maddening is that since the turbo change the car does 5 fewer miles to the gallon. The latest version of the vw emmision software has been installed without our say so. But they deny having installed it, yet its only ever been in to Seat.
Unbelievable!
Brewing; I'm currently messing about with CO2 but getting it from a big cylinder to an S30 bottle or connection is proving a challenge. When a king keg is in a fridge there is no room for a bottle on top so I need to find an adaptor for the S30 top connection. I'm hoping for a Corny for Christmas then have a go with real ingredients, also the co2 problem goes away. I have enjoyed the kits though.

Before the turbo was diagnosed I checked out the egr and that took me 5 hours to remove and refit, even with a pit. they are a complete pig. Being a retired mechanical engineer I would have loved to do the turbo, but because this car was fairly new when my daughter bought it I decided to let the dealer sell us a service plan. I fear this is where the problem lies as I don't trust dealers to change the oil and filters thus poor oil at the turbo shaft causes premature failure.
We had no choice in the end but to have the dealer do the job because Seat won't entertain any financial support if you have the work carried out elsewhere. We got 30% off but it was still in excess of £1500. I've filed a case on the grounds of "durability" consumer rights current buzzword, but I fear this is one I will lose. It should however cause Seat some invconvenience. What is maddening is that since the turbo change the car does 5 fewer miles to the gallon. The latest version of the vw emmision software has been installed without our say so. But they deny having installed it, yet its only ever been in to Seat.
Unbelievable!
That's an interesting view that you feel that SEAT still has some culpability for a failed seven year old item that has done over 50k miles, even though they gave you a goodwill 30% reduction. When I talked to the consumer rights people a few years ago about something I had bought they told me your 'rights' lessened annually until they ran out at five years. Anyway I would have been a bit peed off but accepted it as part of the things that go along with modern cars. If something major goes wrong nowadays it costs a lot of money both in the cost of the item itself and the labour to put it right. Even a set of new medium quality tyres for a typical 'family' hatchback can cost £500.
But as far as the VW emission software is concerned I had this loaded onto a four year old 2 litre VW diesel much against my better judgement and although I didn't notice any change in fuel consumption I did notice the frequency of the cat converter regenerations became increasingly frequent in spite of interspersed long runs, and when they get too fouled up to regenerate that is a big bill to replace them running into £££s. Anyway I sold the diesel and now have a petrol car.

Yes you're right I'm probably wingin it. If it was a French vehicle I would just expect it to fail but not a VW unit. The age of the car is well out of it's 3 year warranty but the warranty mileage is 60,000, so even VW are confident the turbo should easily last that long. My argument is that there is nothing in the turbo that is age perishable it is wholy metal.
Our daughter argues that she is getting penalised for looking after her car and not putting mega miles on it.
VW have for years based their reputation on being reliable and robust. When a turbo costs £1200 (a recon one at that) it's not going to be made of Mickey mouse metal. Even a budget car one would expect the turbo to last the life of the car.
I have a Triumph Stag and the V8 roar is superb but in all honesty I'll be glad to see the back of running an internal combustion engine day to day. My next vehicle will be an electric. No exhaust with its lambda sensors and O2 sensors. No clutch. No starter motor, no oil changes no fuel filters. The list goes on. I don't even see the point of a hybrid, but that is controversial.
Although our daughter has a first in business she is on the minimum wage after a failed attempt at running a Marstons pub during lockdown. To earn £1500 is a lot of shifts. I guess that's the real problem nowadays for low paid kids they can't really justify running a car, but they all just expect to have everything.

Latest posts

Back