Name for a New Pilot Nanobrewery?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which of these names should I go with, for my new nanobrewery?

• Betjeman's

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Cosmopolit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Desi

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Despond of Slough

• Goldprick

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Grand Union/Grand Junction

• Hawker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Herschel

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Punjabrew

• StabMonk

• Upton Royal

• Other (Any suggestions?)

• Total voters
Desi's Grand Prick
Desi's Grand Prix?
You get the phonetic still but with plausible deniability if a family walks in. I had to look up "prix" and it means "prize," more or less, which now makes a heck of a lot more sense because of the Grand Prix races.
Now I've gone and said "prix" too many times and it doesn't seem like a word any longer.

You really need to look at the demographic profile and sort the customer you are aiming at.
I know you say the Eastern European community are deemed to be the bigger drinkers but 5% of them which I am guessing and this is only a guess are a minority against lets say 2% drinkers of the majority may give you a larger customer base again I do not know the demographics of your area.
This will them give you thought for a name that is aimed at drawing in the highest customer base
Here's a bit more context, about the demographics of the catchment area-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slough#Demographyhttps://www.migrationwatchuk.org/br...population-change-in-the-uks-towns-and-citiesSlough's not just the most populous and densely populated urban area in the UK without a brewery- it's also the one with the proportionately largest ethnic minority population (69% non-White British- with the next highest in the UK being Leicester, with 58%, and London being only 56%, with only 5 boroughs of London having a higher majority of ethnic minorities than Slough does), with 39% of local residents being foreign-born, and roughly a third of these (i.e, c.13%- 20,000+ local residents) having now been born in Eastern Europe (mostly Poland). As well as 61% of local births currently being borne by foreign-born mothers, a similarly large share of whom are Eastern Europeans. Still, I'm not too keen on focusing on racial or ethnic demographic targeting too much...

Last edited:
Desi's Grand Prix?
You get the phonetic still but with plausible deniability if a family walks in. I had to look up "prix" and it means "prize," more or less, which now makes a heck of a lot more sense because of the Grand Prix races.
Now I've gone and said "prix" too many times and it doesn't seem like a word any longer.
Hmm. I mean, sure, I'd be able to get a bit more additional plausible deniability than that, tying into the whole 'Grand Prix' thing also having plenty of links to local heritage (with the McLaren F1 team having been based here from 1965 up until the early 80's).
http://www.postcards-from-slough.co.uk/home/le-mans-and-formula-one/mclaren/But I don't really care about the phonetic, and from a branding perspective, if I really wanted to play up that angle, I'd definitely be better off ditching the 'Desi' and adopting a more motoring/motorsport focused name...

Sewer Rat Brewery
Draw a crowd that perceives themselves to be rebellious and tough. Just higher an extra bouncer or two.
IDK about that sort of branding though- the 'Slough Stench' along the M4 from the local sewage works is infamous enough as it is. Not sure if it's something I'd want to emphasize...

I like stabmonk.
It's quite evocative. Initially thought of some poor holy bloke getting knifed, then read the explanation which was as quirky as the name itself.
Really lends itself to a logo too (with either interpretation of the name)...

I like stabmonk.
It's quite evocative. Initially thought of some poor holy bloke getting knifed, then read the explanation which was as quirky as the name itself.

The problem is customers will assume the same as you and will not look for the explanation.

That's part of the attraction. Assuming something, then maybe reading the real explanation on the label/back of the bottle...
Quirky is good from a marketing perspective.

That's part of the attraction. Assuming something, then maybe reading the real explanation on the label/back of the bottle...
Quirky is good from a marketing perspective.

You might be right but i don't think anything with the word stab in the title will be popular these days as you said yourself -

Initially thought of some poor holy bloke getting knifed,

The problem is customers will assume the same as you and will not look for the explanation.
Sad, but probably true. Still, it'd be nice to be able to revive a historical beer festival at the same time, and be able to tap into that extra century and a half or so of local history. Even if I didn't go with this one as the name of the nanobrewery itself, perhaps it could still be a decent name for a particular brew (a sharper, more citrus-ey IPA, maybe)?

To switch the direction around: The Stabby Abby

Seriously, it's more about the product than the name barring labeling the place with something crazy and repulsive (which I have a penchant for).
The name will eventually come to exemplify the product.

Sounds anti-religious but you'd get a lot of print in the news, especially if a monk were to be assaulted.
I mean, "Stab-Monk" was originally short for "Stabbed Monkey". And it was originally about paying respects to the poor stabbed monkey- in essence, it was the Victorian equivalent of if Cincinnati had decided to start holding an annual beer festival back in 2016, and called it "Drinks Out For Harambe". Which, come to think of it, would actually be a pretty fun and lucrative idea...

Last edited:
Goldprick sounds like an Austin Powers villain
Yeah, I know. Included that option more for jollity than anything else, if I wanted to emphasize humor and 'having a good time', by playing up the 007 connection with parody elements galore (in much the same manner the Austin Powers series did). Also partially because I took note of the fact that, surprisingly enough, there aren't any breweries with 'Gold' in their names at all in the entirety of the UK- potentially something else worth capitalizing upon?

Last edited:
Reading the list none of those names stand out to me. I haven't read any of your explanations behind the names. With a brand name you shouldn't need to explain it every single time.

I am more intrigued to know what a semi pro brewery is???

Apart from 18 months of homebrew do you have any other experience in the industry?

Reading the list none of those names stand out to me. I haven't read any of your explanations behind the names. With a brand name you shouldn't need to explain it every single time.

I am more intrigued to know what a semi pro brewery is???

Apart from 18 months of homebrew do you have any other experience in the industry?
By "Semi-pro", I was basically thinking about it as being comparable to a part-time job- keeping my expectations grounded, and not expecting to generate enough profit to earn a living wage, but still at least generating a worthwhile amount of supplementary income. And also, because apart from those 18 months of homebrew, I don't have any other experience in the industry. As such, I fully acknowledge that compared to most people on this forum, I'm definitely not a 'pro' experience-wise. But hey, everyone's gotta start somewhere, right? And when there aren't any other breweries in commuting range for me personally (as an epileptic, I'm legally forbidden from driving) how else am I going to have a chance of learning on the job, and starting to build that experience in the industry, other than by getting something off the ground myself?

By "Semi-pro", I was basically thinking about it as being comparable to a part-time job- keeping my expectations grounded, and not expecting to generate enough profit to earn a living wage, but still at least generating a worthwhile amount of supplementary income. And also, because apart from those 18 months of homebrew, I don't have any other experience in the industry. As such, I fully acknowledge that compared to most people on this forum, I'm definitely not a 'pro' experience-wise. But hey, everyone's gotta start somewhere, right? And when there aren't any other breweries in commuting range for me personally (as an epileptic, I'm legally forbidden from driving) how else am I going to have a chance of learning on the job, and starting to build that experience in the industry, other than by getting something off the ground myself?

I suppose you are limited but costs are huge. And once you are licenced all your beer is subject to taxable and accountable etc. So basically you are a professional brewery, whether you make a profit or not.

Latest posts

Back