Name the Malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braufather

Landlord.
Reaction score
I am brewing an all grain custom kit today, an American pale with the only crystal malt being a bit of crisp 150. However on mashing in I noticed a fair few very dark grains that taste of burnt toast, so name that malt. Maybe Crytal 150 is darker than i remember.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    35.4 KB · Views: 4
was there an ingredient list on the custom kit? Did you create it? Where did you get it from?

Dizzy Rascal_11586
[Grain Option: Crush]
Base Malts
Weyermann® Rye Malt (EBC 4 - 10)
[0Kg] [320G]
£0.77​
£0.13​
£0.77
Weyermann® Pale Ale Malt (EBC 3 - 5)
[3Kg] [500G]
£7.70​
£1.28​
£7.70
Weyermann® Munich Malt Type 1 (EBC 12 - 18)
[0Kg] [220G]
£0.48​
£0.08​
£0.48
Caramel Malts
Crisp Light Crystal 150 (EBC 145-165)
[0Kg] [220G]
£0.59​
£0.10​
£0.59
Flaked Malts / Adjuncts
Crisp Flaked Torrefied Oats
[0Kg] [200G]
£0.40​
£0.07​
£0.40
Hops

Done it loads of times, been fine before. They have definitely fecked up the crystal I think. Thing is I’ve got about 300g of hops and a smacked pack of wyeast ready to throw at this. Thinking of dialling the hop back. It going to be a bit random.

Yes, It’s in the fermenter now. Maybe I’ve stumbled across a cracking brown/amber/red!
I've made many "accidental brews". I'm sure it'll be tasty... just not what you had originally intended. Enter it into a comp and see what they make of it!!!

I would write back to GEB and show them some photos of it and the colour it came out. Just the resulting colour of the wort should be enough to convince them that it wasnt' the grain bill you ordered!

I’m taking it as a sign from above to invest in a grain mill and start milling my own!

I’m taking it as a sign from above to invest in a grain mill and start milling my own!
That's is definitely a positive to take out this experience! I like it when stories of brewing end up in new kit! Basic brewing radio even have it on their end of year "disaster show bingo cards"!

I'm measuring out ingredients for tomorrow. This is crystal malt from warminster, 135 EBC.

Attachments

• PXL_20230302_232326908.jpg
    PXL_20230302_232326908.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 0
That’s what I thought or so
Erving similar but looking at those pics above and the ones they sent me this morning it looks like there are a few black roasty grains in their as standard!

That looks really dark. About the same as the 250 EBC crystal I have in stock.
Some grains are darker than others. I suspect that they make a bunch at different EBCs, then blend them to give a greater range of crystals. 🤷‍♂️

Latest posts

Back