Need some help identifying these items

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samgalactic

Reaction score
Hi all,

I inherited some brewing equipment a little while ago and now that I come to use it, I find myself a bit confused. I have attached some images. I want to use the keg in the pictures (I have 10 gallons of coopers lager bubbling away) but I am not sure exactly HOW to use it.

I am guessing that the big grey rubber bung goes into the hole in the front - but will it just stay there on its own under pressure? It is a very tight fit and I cant push it in with just my hands, but I'm pretty sure I could get it in with some light taps of a hammer.

The long thin metal thing with the twist valve fits into the hole in the top, but again, I can't work out how to seal it in place. It's a very good fit but once it goes in I can pull it out again pretty easily - I don't think it will stay there under pressure.

Can anyone tell me exactly what I would need to get this key filled and working?

There is a bag - also pictured - which contains some old airlocks as well a a lot of wooden disks. I cannot figure out what these may be for. Any ideas?

The wooden tube; has a twist valve but both ends seem to be blocked, although there are some smaller holes drilled in the sides near the thin end.

No clue about the other bits.

Any advice on what to do with all this stuff would be much appreciated. I can bottle my lager if necessary, but I'd really like to get it in a keg for an upcoming house party.

image.jpg

IMG_0801.JPG

IMG_0804.JPG

IMG_0805.JPG

IMG_0806.JPG

IMG_0808.JPG

IMG_0809.JPG

IMG_0810.JPG

You need to find out where that came from or you could be in deep s**t.

attachment.php

keg%20logo%20image%20reg_png.png

Each year the brewing industry loses many millions of pounds through the theft and misappropriation of kegs, casks (beer barrels) and dispense gas cylinders. Keg Watch is the organisation committed to reducing these losses.

Keg Watch Limited is a Trade Association limited by guarantee. We represent the interests of over 1000 members from micro to international brewers, cider makers and the major suppliers of dispense gases to the industry.

The aim of this website is to provide information about Keg Watch to licensees, the industry, the police and the public and to raise awareness of the issues involved.

If you are involved in handling stolen kegs, the penalties are severe.

Keg Watch pays rewards for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for the theft or unauthorised destruction of containers.

Keg Watch operates a confidential free phone line called Keg Line for any general queries or information you may have on our new number 0808 100 1945.

Are you having problems getting your kegs or casks uplifted? Phone the Keg Line now.

The black handle metal contraption is an old capper (confirmed by my old man) that you hit carefully with a mallet or hammer once you have placed a crown cap on top of a bottle.

Modern kegs have plastic discs that need malleted in flush into that middle hole so you may need to use something to put i in more than finger tight.

Can Keg watch give us some kegs that are legal and legit if they get hold of any from defunct breweries by mistake? I presume these assets are sold on but not always remarked - possibly to individuals, so the general public are not aware what belongs to who if it is an old name.

If for example I went to a scrap merchant and bought one legally from them - who is responsible?

The wooden and metal taps will be solid at the narrow end to allow the holes to filter properly. If there is no hole at the outlet maybe it is not finished and needs the hole boring.
The last one I think is for inserting wine corks.

Can Keg watch give us some kegs that are legal and legit if they get hold of any from defunct breweries by mistake? I presume these assets are sold on but not always remarked - possibly to individuals, so the general public are not aware what belongs to who if it is an old name.

If for example I went to a scrap merchant and bought one legally from them - who is responsible?

The wooden and metal taps will be solid at the narrow end to allow the holes to filter properly. If there is no hole at the outlet maybe it is not finished and needs the hole boring.
The last one I think is for inserting wine corks.

Why not email them, I am sure they will be happy to help and members will be interested in the answer.

Latest posts

Back