NEIPA and Exmoor Stag

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Can I get a bit of advice, am going to try to brew a NEIPA, you know the sort, orange juice looking, citrusy taste/smell.

I was going to use Maris Otter, light crystal, pale wheat malt and flaked oats. Dry hopping at high krausen and using BRY-97.

Hops all pellet, Amarillo, Centennial, Tommahawk and whatever Citra I have left. I'm not sure of quantity or timings though for this? I was thinking late boil addition at 10 minutes, 5 mins and a load at flameout? I will have 100g of each of the hops apart from citra approx 50g.

Has anyone tried an Exmoor Stag? I was going to try and clone it, I will use Maris Otter as the base malt, carapils and chocolate malt, Fuggles, bobek and First Gold (EKG) but again am struggling to think of what hop additions and when, it's still a bit of a mystery to me hop additions... Oh and probably Danstar ESB yeast.

Thanks in advance

Personally. Not tried the exmoor stag. Not knowing the beer but having read various sources:

Not sure that any NEIPA has any dark malts in it, but all personal preference obviously. If you are attempting a clone then follow it.

Do the boil additions so you keep IBU low (maybe less than 25 has worked for me) so keep the grams low. Use a calculator to figure out the best keeping IBU low. You may get high perceived bitterness from the dry hopping.

Knockout and whirlpool has a huge impact on flavour as noticed in my last brew, it had no whirlpool or flameout and lacked nice pungent aroma and flavour as a result vs the hops I chucked in it.

I'd add the dry hops in very early on fermentation maybe day 0 (which is my lost recent venture) or 1 to try and get some biotransformation with your yeast and hop combo maybe reserve some for later dry hopping to add the perished aroma from doing early.

Split your hopping schedule so you get an even split across the brew and try no to introduce ANY oxygen... I've fallen foul of this too many times and taken steps to attempt oxygenless transfer, sampling and packaging. It will destroy your beer in a week turning brown and toffee like.

Telling you all the things I have learnt from brewing NEIPA true to style so I hop this helps.

And it's late so forgive me, but are you trying 7 different hops or is this two different recipes?

And it's late so forgive me, but are you trying 7 different hops or is this two different recipes?
He’s got 4 hops in the NEIPA and 3 in the Exmoor Stag.

To the OP, I don’t have the book to hand but Graham Wheeler book has some Exmoor beers in it so it might be worth checking that out for a stag recipe.

For your NEIPA I’d maybe consider a different yeast if you want the characteristic haze and esters that a NEIPA has. I’m not sure if the Danstar NEIPA yeast is available in homebrew size yet butvthe CML Haze yeast seems to be getting good reviews. Alternatively there are loads of liquids yeasts for the style.

Thanks both, yes 2 different recipes there, sorry for the confusion.

Yes I hear that it's very important to keep oxygen out of this one in particular!

I'll have a ganders at the haze yeast thanks, I've been put off the liquid yeast by the last 3 failing to start. My own fault, I don't use a starter because I tend to brew as and when I have time. Never had a problem with dry yeast (so far).

What do you reckon with the hops for the neipa, good combo? I may just mix them and add them at from 10 mins 5 mins and flame out, then 2 dry hops?

Ok so I've decided on my neipa recipe.

To make 19l in fv

6kg Maris otter
500g light crystal
500g flaked oats
500g pale wheat

Mash for 60mins at 66c

Boil for 60 mins.
Amarillo
Tomahawk
Centennial 20g each at 10,5 and flameout.

Dry hop at high krausen with 40g each of the above hops and whatever I have left of citra.

Pitch with cml hazy yeast.

Og 1091 fg 1025 abv 8.8% ibu 55.

Be interested to see the colour of this once done.

Are you using any calculator like beer smith, Brewers friend etc? I'm no expert but I reckon you'll get a decent charge of bitterness, probably more than expected (55) with the 10,5 additions.

I've always been scared to omit boil additions for this style and done similar to you but always ended up with more perceived bitterness than expected. Think on next one I'll ditch the boil all together and do a decent size flameout

So I aimed for 25/30 IBU and I reckon it's come out more than that. Also not sure the style should have much in the way of bitterness anyway. Not sure many of the apps are great at working out IBU when used in whirlpool anyway so it's a stab in the dark IMO.

What is the EBC you have aimed for? Not sure the light crystal is needed either (again only an opinion) but it could produce something awesome.

Ahh ok.... interesting....

Ebc is 15.7, yes I wasnt sure about the light crystal I was taking bits off some recipes on malt Miller and adding them together, might add that bit of sweetness I thought.

Hey, the ones I've made have not been awful at all! It's all personal preference. They have not lasted long ever which is a good thing!

EBC looks fine

I'll have a ganders at the haze yeast thanks, I've been put off the liquid yeast by the last 3 failing to start. My own fault, I don't use a starter because I tend to brew as and when I have time. Never had a problem with dry yeast (so far).

What do you reckon with the hops for the neipa, good combo? I may just mix them and add them at from 10 mins 5 mins and flame out, then 2 dry hops?

I used Omega Yeast OYL-052 on mine which is apparently the "Conan" strain and would recommend taking a look.

My recipe below if your interested, really pleased with how it came out although like @uDicko said above next time I come to make this I may look to omit any boil additions or atleast look to lower the amount to limit the IBUs.

OG 1.075
FG 1.022
ABV 7%

4kg German Pilsner
1kg Golden Promise
1kg flaked Wheat
500g flaked Barley

Boil - 60m
50g Galaxy @ 13AA - 10m
25g El Dorado @ 13.6AA -10m
50g Azzaca @ 13.1AA - 5m

25g Galaxy - 15m Whirlpool
50g Citra - 15m Whirlpool

25g Azzaca Dry Hop 4 days
15g el Dorado Dry Hop 4 days

25g Citra DH 6 days
25g Azzaca DH 6 days
25g Galaxy DH 6 days

Omega Yeast OYL-052

20190724_173632.jpg

Hi
My latest I’ve stopped adding boil addition, then cool to 80 deg for my flame out additions, the last one I done added the flame out at 95deg and made it really bitter.

Good luck

Latest posts

Back