More East Coast than West Coast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keruso

Regular.
Reaction score
I'm brewing a beer for a Friend's BBQ. Aiming for a fruity American-style IPA. Not a full-blown NEIPA. Here's the recipe, I'm particularly interested in the hops profile, your feedback please on these pairings and quantities. I have all these hops already so wasn't going to buy more.

23Litre Batch 60minute boil
Grain 6.3Kg
5kg Maris Otter
1Kg Flaked Oats
0.3Kg Carapils

Hops 250G
25G each of Citra, El Dorado and Amarillo @10 minutes (50 minutes into the boil)
25G each of Citra, El Dorado and Amarillo 20 minutes Hop Stand at 90c
25G each of Citra and Amarillo Dry Hop for 4 days
50g El Dorado Dry Hop for 4 days

I'd expect those hops to work quite nicely together. The only thing I'd probably change if it was my brew would be to drop the hop stand temperature to 80degC as that is what I typically use. You get less bitterness and (in theory at least) should lose less of the volatile aroma/flavour compounds.

Hop mix looks Ok to me as they should work well together.
As Stu has said I would drop the Whirlpool/Hopstand to 80C for the same reasons also if you leave the first addition of 10 minutes in you will get extra IBU's from them as well as the Hopstand so depending on how bitter you like it it may need looking at.
Ps your recipe calculator may or not account for the extra IBU's which can lead to extra bitterness not accounted for in the IBU calculation

Hop mix looks Ok to me as they should work well together.
As Stu has said I would drop the Whirlpool/Hopstand to 80C for the same reasons also if you leave the first addition of 10 minutes in you will get extra IBU's from them as well as the Hopstand so depending on how bitter you like it it may need looking at.
Ps your recipe calculator may or not account for the extra IBU's which can lead to extra bitterness not accounted for in the IBU calculation
Thanks folks, good suggestion to drop to 80°c for the hop stand. I’ve changed the recipe as suggested and it reckons 43 IBU. If you were brewing this would you reduce the 10min addition, it’s there for flavor and some bitterness ? I’m not sure what IBU to aim for with something that resembles a NEIPA’s IBU. I’m not keen on NEIPA’s personally

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back