NEIPA bottling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Barron

Reaction score
Currently brewing a NEIPA, but have read some horror stories on discolouration from oxidation. I have a pretty basic set up at the moment with no CO2, but does anyone have any bottling tips that may help me avoid it turning brown? Or am I being overly paranoid?

There was a brulosophy podcast where they set a challenge out to people to come forward with an oxygen free bottling process that kept NEIPA fresh in the bottle.

The only thing they came up with was kegging and beer gun.

I do not think you are being overly paranoid but I equally don't have any answers for you.

Drink within two weeks. You're going to get oxygen pick up and it will turn brown if you've used huge amounts of hops.

Well there's a bunch of things you could do that might help, even if some are rather fiddly. Especially if your fermenter has a tap so you can bottle straight from it:
- absolutely don't rack into secondary or bottling bucket. Don't even open the fermenter after you've added dry hops.
- If you cold crash, use balloon over airlock during fermentation or seal up the fermenter if you can.
- use sodium metabisulfite (campden tablets) as suggested by brulosophy (don't know if this works but can't hurt!) They suggest .4g for a full batch which is about 1 tablet, so crush, dissolve in a little boiled water and then dose each bottle, I guess.
- put priming sugar (carb drops, sugar, solution, whatever) in the bottles too, before you start.
- minimal splashing and full as you dare bottles
- cap each bottle as soon as you fill it
- Drink soon, indeed!

Back