NEIPA hints and tips

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So not sure if anyone can help me here.

I brewed on Saturday so 5 days ago now and I’m thinking my readings are not where they should be. My initial reading was way off what I as aiming for at 1046 (BD say OG of 1065). After 5 days I'm on 1028. It is out in the shed in the fridge so I haven't been as actively checking it as most but it did take a few days for any bit of krausen marks to show/signs of fermentation, maybe only 2" up from the top of my 19L batch.
Taste is fine considering I'm to dry hop with over 80% of the total hop additions yet. There is a very slight carbonation to it also...
One possible major issue, my yeast was out of date by around 6weeks, but as I say there was some fermentation...
My grain bill was 3.4kg propino, 390g torrified wheat, 560g flaked oats. 15.25L in the mash, 13.23L on top.

I’m just wondering does this sound ok as I was due to dry hop today and I don’t want to if not advisable!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I'd say you wouldn't get an OG of 1.065 with that grain bill at that volume to start with...but I could be wrong!
Otherwise it sounds on track...five days in its nowhere near done. I'd add your hops as per schedule.

I'd say you wouldn't get an OG of 1.065 with that grain bill at that volume to start with...but I could be wrong!
Otherwise it sounds on track...five days in its nowhere near done. I'd add your hops as per schedule.
Thanks Clint! I was thinking that alright as I would have been scaled down to work with my Grainfather. So you say hop away and leave it at it for the next 5 days or so? No concern around the low Krausen?
First time actually dry hopping so just going to crack the lid a bit and pop them in?

Right...I've no experience of brewing NEIPAS so you need to look at whether you want to dry hop at high Krausen and then later as this seems the way to go.
As for "normal" dry hopping I tend to leave it towards the end of fermentation,say,day ten then leave for a few days.

Right...I've no experience of brewing NEIPAS so you need to look at whether you want to dry hop at high Krausen and then later as this seems the way to go.
As for "normal" dry hopping I tend to leave it towards the end of fermentation,say,day ten then leave for a few days.
Think I missed the boat on the high krausen :/
I’m going to hold off for now, see if there’s any change in the next couple days then cold crash and hop and hope for the best 😂

Afternoon folks! I’m just checking in on this. I’m on day 10 now and I’m having some issues. My gravity has only dropped from 1.046 to 1.019 for a few days now, way off the 6-7% I was aiming for. Has anyone any advice on what I could do?

I do have another vial of yeast, would this help or am I just wasting some good yeast?

Just stressing now that it’s fecked!

Thanks in advance!

Afternoon folks! I’m just checking in on this. I’m on day 10 now and I’m having some issues. My gravity has only dropped from 1.046 to 1.019 for a few days now, way off the 6-7% I was aiming for. Has anyone any advice on what I could do?

I do have another vial of yeast, would this help or am I just wasting some good yeast?

Just stressing now that it’s fecked!

Thanks in advance!

You said it was in the fridge, what temp has it been fermenting at? If it's been cold you might have to wait a while longer for it to finish. Looks like it's made decent progress from your OG, maybe rouse it a bit and warm it up to help it finish?

You said it was in the fridge, what temp has it been fermenting at? If it's been cold you might have to wait a while longer for it to finish. Looks like it's made decent progress from your OG, maybe rouse it a bit and warm it up to help it finish?
Thank you! I was fermenting it at 18c, ive upped that now to 19.5 for a bit... When you say rouse it, what should i do, give the bucket a swirl?

Thank you! I was fermenting it at 18c, ive upped that now to 19.5 for a bit... When you say rouse it, what should i do, give the bucket a swirl?

Exactly, just give it a swirl to get some yeast back in suspension in case it had all settled out.

Hi. thought I'd resurrect this thread instead of starting a new one. We brewed a 2nd batch of the NEIPA and bottled again this weekend. looks alot better...just more attention to detail I think this time around but still bottled. I've been reading up doubt the freshness of NEIPA's and it seems the they are good to go as soon as they've carbonated maybe after 4 days or so? to take advantage of the hop freshness and don't necessarily benefit from further bottle conditioning as a malt forward ale. Sounds sensible to me and means I get to drink the beer sooner!

But we're going to be brewing another NEIPA in a week or so's time. We're not doing fermenting under pressure but I've bought a 5ltr mini keg with the ball lock valve top and regulator for small CO2 canisters and a tap. So was thinking about pitching into the 5ltre keg from the fermentor as I would into bottles, pressure carbonate at 25 psi for a few days rather than use sugar. I'm optiong this might enable the beer to last a bit longer in the keg. I know it will be exposed to oxygen during the transfer but will be purged of O2 immediately and put under CO2 pressure so not trapping oxygen in the headspace as with bottling.

Does this sound like a good plan and if so how long should I keep in the keg before drinking?

We-re running a Grandfather conical fermentor and you can get a pressure transfer kit for it, so thinking about getting that so after fermentation we can pressure transfer into the kegs and further improve the process.

Hi. thought I'd resurrect this thread instead of starting a new one. We brewed a 2nd batch of the NEIPA and bottled again this weekend. looks alot better...just more attention to detail I think this time around but still bottled. I've been reading up doubt the freshness of NEIPA's and it seems the they are good to go as soon as they've carbonated maybe after 4 days or so? to take advantage of the hop freshness and don't necessarily benefit from further bottle conditioning as a malt forward ale. Sounds sensible to me and means I get to drink the beer sooner!

But we're going to be brewing another NEIPA in a week or so's time. We're not doing fermenting under pressure but I've bought a 5ltr mini keg with the ball lock valve top and regulator for small CO2 canisters and a tap. So was thinking about pitching into the 5ltre keg from the fermentor as I would into bottles, pressure carbonate at 25 psi for a few days rather than use sugar. I'm optiong this might enable the beer to last a bit longer in the keg. I know it will be exposed to oxygen during the transfer but will be purged of O2 immediately and put under CO2 pressure so not trapping oxygen in the headspace as with bottling.

Does this sound like a good plan and if so how long should I keep in the keg before drinking?

We-re running a Grandfather conical fermentor and you can get a pressure transfer kit for it, so thinking about getting that so after fermentation we can pressure transfer into the kegs and further improve the process.

I have read this too about NEIPAs and tucking into them sooner rather than let them condition. I believe the flavour and haze can drop after time.

I kegged my NEIPA on Friday evening, ended up nearly 3 weeks in the FV but it needed it as my yeast was being a bit stubborn!
I have been carbonating at 20psi since then so I’m wondering if I should up it? I did a pretty much open transfer, purged where I could etc. I am expecting it to be good to go by Wednesday or so. But I am 100% going to try it later though 😍😂
After I dry hopped it, the smell and taste was just divine over the next few days. I’ll definitely brew that recipe again. Someone on here mentioned it was very forgiving and I couldn’t agree more.

I kegged my 3rd nepia brew yesterday.I used verdant ipa yeast again, on the 4th evening it had dropped from 1060 to 1014, fermented at 4psi.Dry hopped on day 2 and 5 and kegged on day 10.Closed transfer, my past couple i have just set the keg pressure to 14psi and a week later it is ready to serve.

I had a ltr left over so i put it in a co2 flushed bottle just to see if it holds up on colour and flavour.

Attachments

• bt.JPG
    bt.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 50

Latest posts

Back