Best price for ingredients

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leard

Reaction score
It's been a while since I've bought myself any ingredients. I used to rely on GetErBrewed. They still seem pretty cheap, and as far as I can tell they still are. Are there any new places that are able to offer cheaper?

I thought it'd be good to collate the different costs of beers from the different retailers.

Just as an example, using their custom all-grain kit creator. A NEIPA recipe I made with 4kg of grain, 325g of hops, and dry yeast costs £38.48 (£1.16 a pint) . Or an oatmeal stout with 4.35kg of grain, 48g of hops, and dry yeast costs £17.96 (54p a pint). You have to factor in the £7 delivery cost. But I usually buy 4-5 recipe kits at a time, so maybe just over a quid extra per recipe for delivery.

I have been very happy with TMM over the years , prices have definitely gone up in last 12 months but they offer free delivery at certain price points (and if you were ordering 4/5 you would prob hit that).. I have shopped around previously but never found enough price variation to justification moving .

Just had a delivery today for three all grain kits - funny enough an oatmeal stout , red ale and a black lager for about £65 delivered.

True To Style #16 – Black Lager https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/true-to-style-16-black-lager/
True To Style #17 – Red Ale – All Grain Kit https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/true-to-style-17-red-ale-all-grain-kit/
Oatmeal Stout – Jon Finch Oatmeal Stout – Jon Finch - The Malt Miller

Last edited:
I use a local to me hbs were i get a 25kg bag of pale malt for £35-00 and use cml for yeast and hops and smaller amounts of grain, just got a delivery from cml, 500g progress, 100g styrian goldings, 100g magnum £28-74. forgot the 5 packs of Midland yeast

Last edited:
Best, if you don't live in North Scotland!

Geterbrewed, carriage now too high. TMM delivery, to 8kg is £3.29 +VAT, over that (or liquid yeast) £10.42 +VAT, no free carriage.

I use a local to me hbs were i get a 25kg bag of pale malt for £35-00 and use cml for yeast and hops and smaller amounts of grain, just got a delivery from cml, 500g progress, 100g styrian goldings, 100g magnum £28-74. forgot the 5 packs of Midland yeast

I have local suppliers, which helps tremendously. I am setting up a buying group for grains to enable hitting price points.

20p ish per pint. That's cheaper than coffee 😁

Hi Mashbag are you doing or looking at A forum type buying group for grain etc?

Buying kits adds a premium to ingredient costs. Find a good local and reliable source for a 25kg sack of base malt and shop around for everything else. Money saving also comes with the added benefit of consistency and predictability between brews. Some places will discount on multiple sachets of dry yeast and hops, which have great shelf life when stored cold.

Last edited:
@MashBag I'd be keen on joining such a buying group. My folks live in Peterborough, but as I tend to visit at weekends, Brewer's Select is closed for collection. I'm running low on base malt, so keen for another bag.

Looks like 2024 malt pricing in general is a bit cheaper than 2023, so good news there!

I know a couple guys near peterborough.
Simple buy & split. 4 sacks at a time. Can also split hops. That's it really.

What are you thinking?
I thought you were maybe looking at doing a group buy like the ones in Cheshire did a couple of years ago on this forum.

Back