New car sales plunge 20% in September

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wait til your EV battery degrades.... there's no guaranteed life on them as the technology is still being developed,( we ran loads of prototype in work),the likely replacement cost would be around £5000....but I suspect you'd get a "good will" freebe off the dealership.. hopefully.
They said similar things when Stephenson invented the Rocket. ;)
Dutto was there at the time.:hat:

I assume most new cars will be bought using PCP and people will give the car back at the end of the third year and take a new one out on a new car battery degradation should therefore not be a problem.

The reduction in new car sales might well be because they've succeeded in demonising deisel which is a little more polluting than petrol. So people who like deisels (like me) are reluctant to buy a new deisel because of possible resale values, so why not just keep your old one. We bought our doblo 4 years ago and will doubtless run it til it's scrap.
I wouldn't mind an electric but anything big enough to tow a trailer full of sheep costs a fortune and does about 50 miles on a charge when not towing. So pointless.
Also resale values of EVs are pathetic, because a second hand EV is just so much closer to needing a battery swap.

Surely they should set up a hire a battery scheme.
You buy the car but hire the battery?
It may make the actual cars a but cheaper because that electric golf starts at £28k

What would really help (I don't think it will happen) is if batteries were standardised to 2 or 3 standard sizes so you can buy a battery from any company and when the next generation comes out you can upgrade your battery to the new spec.

I took the plunge and bought a Hyundai Ioniq plug-in hybrid in September last year and I must say that I am not disappointed. I did a lot of analysis before buying the vehicle looking at life costs of petrol and diesel models, hybrid models and plug-in hybrid models and over a six year period my analysis indicated that the plug-in hybrid was the cheapest solution. However this really depends on the mileage that you do each day. My daily commute is about 35 miles return so I can do it on a full charge and therefore get about 250mpg. We took it to Bordeaux on holiday in the summer and this dropped to 86mpg because we ran on the petrol engine for most of the way. It uses about 7.1units of electricity for a full charge so if you are on Economy 7 it costs about 35p for 35 miles. I must say that these figures are noticeably reduced in the cold weather.

I wasn't brave enough to go totally electric and my experience to date of the charging network verifies that, but maybe Dorset is not typical. I seem to be exceeding the efficiency used in my life cost analysis which makes it even cheaper. Could ramble on even more but in conclusion I would recommend looking at plug-in hybrids because you get the best of both worlds but this is highly dependent on the daily mileage that you do.

I took the plunge and bought a Hyundai Ioniq plug-in hybrid in September last year and I must say that I am not disappointed. I did a lot of analysis before buying the vehicle looking at life costs of petrol and diesel models, hybrid models and plug-in hybrid models and over a six year period my analysis indicated that the plug-in hybrid was the cheapest solution. However this really depends on the mileage that you do each day. My daily commute is about 35 miles return so I can do it on a full charge and therefore get about 250mpg. We took it to Bordeaux on holiday in the summer and this dropped to 86mpg because we ran on the petrol engine for most of the way. It uses about 7.1units of electricity for a full charge so if you are on Economy 7 it costs about 35p for 35 miles. I must say that these figures are noticeably reduced in the cold weather.

I wasn't brave enough to go totally electric and my experience to date of the charging network verifies that, but maybe Dorset is not typical. I seem to be exceeding the efficiency used in my life cost analysis which makes it even cheaper. Could ramble on even more but in conclusion I would recommend looking at plug-in hybrids because you get the best of both worlds but this is highly dependent on the daily mileage that you do.

What's the difference between a plug in and a normal hybrid? Those ioniq is what made me think about hybrid. I recently had a taxi in one and he was running around in a city doing 80+ mpg and they aren't a bad looking car

A plug-in hybrid has a bigger battery than a normal hybrid so you can run in electric mode alone for around 35 miles as if you were in an electric vehicle.

This not 100% true though because if you go up a very steep hill, accelerate hard or are travelling at very high speeds the petrol engine will cut in to give the extra power required. However I can still travel at 70mph on a relatively flat road without the petrol engine kicking in

I like the sound of the plug in hybrid as a bloke at work has a Toyota hybrid (not plug in) and says you do not get far on battery alone also if you live in a small town like we do the engine is running most of the time as it kicks in above 30 mph which obviously you are doing as soon as you leave town.

(Feel free to correct me if any of the above is not true)

I need a new car, the lovely folks at the DVLA clamped my Audi A4 S-line last week, but I refused to pay £260 to remove the clamp and told em to take it away and scrap it. Probably a bad move now I think about it..lol

I need a new car, the lovely folks at the DVLA clamped my Audi A4 S-line last week, but I refused to pay £260 to remove the clamp and told em to take it away and scrap it. Probably a bad move now I think about it..lol

You let a Audi a4 s-line go..

Yeah, the gear box had died, only replaced it last year and cost me £1500. Died again a few months ago, maybe my fault I had it parked in my quiet street with no tax but was saving up for another box.
\But the DVLA wanted £260 plus insurance, MOT and Tax before they would release it.
So would have ended up costing me probably more than the car.
So I spat my dummy out and told them to shove it up their **** and they could foot the bill for removing it and scrapping it.
Was a sweet Audi too

I'm a nosey parker so no need to answer - but why they do that??

I declared it off the road but they still clamped it for no tax, but the car was unable to drive so I thought bugger it I'm not taxing it whilst not using it.

• Vehicle make: AUDI
  • Date of first registration: June 2006
  • Year of manufacture: 2006
  • Cylinder capacity (cc): 1986 cc
  • CO₂Emissions: 169 g/km
  • Fuel type: DIESEL
  • Euro Status: Not available
  • Export marker: No
  • Vehicle status: SORN in place
  • Vehicle colour: BLACK
  • Vehicle type approval: M1
Even shows as SORN in place and they clamped it.

Even shows as SORN in place and they clamped it.

I was going to SORN once and leave it on my drive at the end of an unadopted road. I was warned that they would come looking and declare it as on the road, even in an inaccessible location like mine (I think the drive is technically part of the unadopted road). Insurance would still have been due too, so I didn't bother.

D'you know, I read somewhere only last week that Iceland's rumbling Katla volcano emits more CO2 in one day than humankind has done in a hundred years. Just one volcano that's not even in eruption!
Well, I'd normally let this go. But..........
Where did you read this?? If it's a reputable source, then please quote it!
I did read this today. "Scientists estimate that volcanoes worldwide emit, on average, about 1.5 million metric tons of CO2 per day (only about 2% of the amount that human activity causes)." The source for this is the online science magazine http://www.sciencemag.org.
Who's right? Well, obviously I don't know for sure because I'm not a physicist/meteorologist/climate scientist. But I know which horse I'd back.

Oh **** you have mentioned science in a post to Gunge best get your flame proof pyjamas on now. :laugh8:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back